Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Just got seafoam, is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Default Just got seafoam, is this correct?

Just got seafoam, I plan on putting it into my gas tank while it's on when the car is halfway between empty and a quarter. I'll let it sit for 10minutes, turn it on and let it sit at idle and have the smoke clear on its own, then drive it, til the smoke goes away, and fill the gas full.

That a good way to do it?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Uhhh..... I usually just get a can, fill her up (with high test) and for the first 10 miles drive it like you STOLE it....

Of course, with high test and a 93 Octane tune... with Seafoam... it's quite a beast.

I presume you've not used Seafoam before now so... how many miles on the car?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You want to mix the proper amount of SeaFoam to treat 16 gallons; pull up to the pump when you're about 1/2 tank or less, add the PROPER # of ounces of Seafoam for 16 gallons, then fill up (this process ensures the Seafoam properly mixes with the fuel). DO NOT run a full can of Seafoam in about 1/2 tank. SOmeone else tried that and their car wouldn't start due to the fuel being over-diluted.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You want to mix the proper amount of SeaFoam to treat 16 gallons; pull up to the pump when you're about 1/2 tank or less, add the PROPER # of ounces of Seafoam for 16 gallons, then fill up (this process ensures the Seafoam properly mixes with the fuel). DO NOT run a full can of Seafoam in about 1/2 tank. SOmeone else tried that and their car wouldn't start due to the fuel being over-diluted.
Lol I just put the full can in quarter tank started the bitch up, and drove it like a maniac! Then went to the gas station filled up and am now at 3 quarters of a tank.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

So i'm guessing drive the car for another 2000 miles and do it again? Every 2,000 miles? Just put seafoam and doing all of my fluids Saturday, Power Steering, Tranni, etc.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

What advantages are there for using Seafoam? I have 10K miles on my car and I haven't used it yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I typically run a tank of Techron at each oil change or 10,000 miles simply as a preventive maintenance task. I'll use Seafoam if I suspect somethings not right (rough idle, engine miss, poor fuel mileage, etc) before I begin replacing things or pulling anything apart.

With todays engines, as persnickity as they are, it certainly can't hurt to keep the fuel system and combustion chambers as clean as you can.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
What advantages are there for using Seafoam? I have 10K miles on my car and I haven't used it yet.
I just put it in my car, and only used a quarter of it, I SWEAR feels like a new car, smoother when i rip on it, and shifting feels smoother. Imagine when I use the full tank, and fill 91 after.. Ohh baybeh!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You want to mix the proper amount of SeaFoam to treat 16 gallons; pull up to the pump when you're about 1/2 tank or less, add the PROPER # of ounces of Seafoam for 16 gallons, then fill up <snip>.
Uhm... let's see... Seafoam comes in... (at least around here anyhow) 16oz. cans. They recommend 1 oz. per gallon of fuel... so... yeah, add the entire can the FILL UP as our tanks are 16 gallons.

I should do mine... it's been a while.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Seafoam itself does not improve performance as it seems a few above have implied. SeaFoam will remove crud and carbon buildup which hampers performance. Today's fuels are pretty good at keeping everything fairly clean but as demanding as todays engines are, it just good medicine to use a fuel system cleaner at some pre-determined frequency. As far as "feels like a new car", either his engine was in sorry shape and he broke something free which led to a noticeable difference or it was the placebo effect; similar to how much quicker my car is when she's freshly washed and polished.

Quick Reply: Just got seafoam, is this correct?