Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

15 mpg city!?$!#??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Default 15 mpg city!?$!#??

I recently calculated my mileage and I'am getting about 15 mpg strictly city driving. I only have a JLT CAI and a bama tune (was on the street tune when i tested the mileage) Just wondering does this seem normal?

P.S Just bought some spark plugs and other goodies to see if i can improve on this some because to me 15 mpg for a v6 is unacceptable

Thanks for looking
Trevor
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

oh wow, when I read this I assumed it was a v8 and I was thinking .. suck it up, butter cup!

that is really low for a v6. are you just absolutely mashing it everywhere you go? there are a ton of factors that play into efficiency though.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
oh wow, when I read this I assumed it was a v8 and I was thinking .. suck it up, butter cup!

that is really low for a v6. are you just absolutely mashing it everywhere you go?
Lol that's exactly my point that seems like v8 fuel economy but without the extra 100 horses

And I purposefully was driving conservatively when I was calculating my gas mileage so that shouldn't have been the problem
Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 AM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Just wondering is there any easy things i can do to improve fuel economy besides spark plugs and what not?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I just calculated my new stang and I get 19 mpg with 3.31:1 gear, mostly highway
driving.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The V6 can be almost as much a pig as the Gt, especially in the city. My wifes '06 V6 gets about 16-17 MPG city and she has a bit of a lead foot. Of course, there are a lot of factors that can make one persons city driving fuel mileage a lot different than another persons. You might be able improve things a TAD with hardware but I suggest you watch your driving habits and make sure your tires are at the proper pressure.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

how many miles? change fuel filter? change all your fluids on time?
i changed my fuel filter without jacking up the car. might wanna check for codes. got a mechanic?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 AM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

@Nuke Ill make sure to check my tire pressure and also try to be more conservative driving the next time I test my mileage

@IvanRad My car has 38,000 miles. I have not changed my oil filter, should I? Ill check for codes tomorrow. Also Do you think a mechanic is necessary at this point?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Yes, you should change your filter every, like, 30,000 miles anyways. I don't think a mechanic is needed because your car really isn't having any mechanical problems. You probably sit a lot and idle a lot, and I bet you have to keep speeding up and slowing down. All of that is tough on your car and 15mpg is one of the things that happens.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

one of the biggest ave mpg killers is in the colder season, letting the car run and warm up. they really suck the fuel idling. i can watch the ave mpg on my info center drop idling in the driveway. mine always goes down in the winter cause i let it warm up every morning before i leave, and i think the fuel additives make crap fuel at the pumps. tune up is most important and air in tires

Quick Reply: 15 mpg city!?$!#??