Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is there an oil separator just for V6??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default Is there an oil separator just for V6??

Just posted on my other thread about my TB cleaning, but noticed oil back it manifold. Did some research and seems all the aftermarket oil separators are all for the V8 GT's. Is there a kit just for the 2005-2009 V6's out there? How about DIY info? Pics would be nice....can't stand thought of oil pooling in the plenum!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
JimC

You can easily modify the separator for the V6. On the 4.0 you put the separator on the PASSENGER side and not the driver side like the V8.

I have the UPR on mine, and while it is supercharged you put the separator in the same spot. It is the aluminum canister on the shock tower, passenger side. I just used some oil resistant hose and connected it to the PCV and the port on the back.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

On the 2007 4.0, it mounts on the drivers side, not the passengers side....
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Its actually the passenger side.... The GT is on the driver side. Although you can mount on both or either side technically. The driver side would be in between the valve cover and the intake tube which there isn't too much oil coming through there. On the passenger side where its supposed to be comes right out of the intake manifold to the valve cover therefor its more effective there in catching oil... I too have the UPR on the passenger side.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Looks like on a regular V6 the hoses will be much shorter that on JimC's car. Looks pretty simple. Is that also where the PVC valve is, on passenger side? Or is there 2 on the V6. And the PVC has a elec. connection to it....why? How do you pull the valve off to clean it? You guys are of great help...glad to be part of the community.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Having the same problem, anyone know if there is a direct fit kit for our v6's out there. Been wanting to put one on my car, If not lets see what kind of setups you guys are running.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 157dB
Look at the picture I posted and you can see the PCV on the front of the passenger side valve cover. A friend was running a catch can on his car on the driver side - he didn't even know it was there until I was installing his Xcharger Xtreme upgrade so had never emptied it. It was bone dry. On the passenger side I empty it every 2 - 3,000 miles and it will be over half full. It is the PCV side that you need the separator on - and on the GT 2005-10 the PCV is on the driver side.

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Its actually the passenger side.... The GT is on the driver side. Although you can mount on both or either side technically. The driver side would be in between the valve cover and the intake tube which there isn't too much oil coming through there. On the passenger side where its supposed to be comes right out of the intake manifold to the valve cover therefor its more effective there in catching oil... I too have the UPR on the passenger side.
I also run one on the driver side (one of the $20 set ups that doesn't have a big holder) because I was getting a little blow by on that side before I replaced the plugged cats. Replaced the cats and that can never has anything in it.

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
Looks like on a regular V6 the hoses will be much shorter that on JimC's car. Looks pretty simple. Is that also where the PVC valve is, on passenger side? Or is there 2 on the V6. And the PVC has a elec. connection to it....why? How do you pull the valve off to clean it? You guys are of great help...glad to be part of the community.
Only one PCV, the one at the front of the passenger side valve cover. I don't know why it has an electronics connector though - never traced it to see what it goes to. The valve assembly snaps into the grommet. But I've never found a need to pull and clean it and the car has 202,500 on it right now.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

UPR... easy to install & looks great

Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Did some research and the PCV on the V6 is heated so that below 32 degrees the computer sends a signal and heats it up so it won't stick closed. Also looks like it screws into the grommet...counter clockwise to remove it according to Haynes Manual. Also said the V8 has no PCV valve...just hoses attached to the valve covers. Got to get the oil separator can...Looks like DIY install of hoses for us V6'ers.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
Did some research and the PCV on the V6 is heated so that below 32 degrees the computer sends a signal and heats it up so it won't stick closed. Also looks like it screws into the grommet...counter clockwise to remove it according to Haynes Manual. Also said the V8 has no PCV valve...just hoses attached to the valve covers. Got to get the oil separator can...Looks like DIY install of hoses for us V6'ers.
You dont need the heated connection. The PCM does not send it, either; it gets power direct from the SJB when the key is turned on.

As far as filtering, in a non-blown V6, the OIL that gets in the TB usually gets there from the PASSENGER side, pcv intake; lots of oil gets in there and some does work its way back to the TB (and egr tube).

Any filter works. I've used air compressor filters (from home depot and lowes) vs. the more expensive billet filters. Just dont use a paper fuel filter, lol, as it'll clog with oil very quickly!

Quick Reply: Is there an oil separator just for V6??