Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 Borla Stingers on 2009 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Default 2010 Borla Stingers on 2009 Mustang

I've searched through every thread on this forum, and everyone says the only difference between 2005-2009 and 2010 GT exhausts is the tips on the 2010 are one inch longer. I have an 09 mustang v6 and a guy offered me a great deal on his 2010 GT Borla stingers with 2500 miles on them. The borlas and ford racing are the only exhausts listed on american muscle as two separate ones. Any thoughts? Also, I emailed borla and was told that "there are differences" but thats it.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Here's my two cents... I'm running Borla Stingers on my 2010 V6. However, I just bought the mufflers and tips separate and ran the pipe back over the axle. The Stinger muffler used in Borla's kits are the same as the "universal" muffler they sell. So as long as it has 2.5" inlet (as it should) you should be fine. Don't many people use GT axlebacks when converting to dual anyway? The only "difference" I could possibly think of is possible differences in hangers? Which wouldn't be hard to change. As far as the actual muffler goes though you should be fine.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
Here's my two cents... I'm running Borla Stingers on my 2010 V6. However, I just bought the mufflers and tips separate and ran the pipe back over the axle. The Stinger muffler used in Borla's kits are the same as the "universal" muffler they sell. So as long as it has 2.5" inlet (as it should) you should be fine. Don't many people use GT axlebacks when converting to dual anyway? The only "difference" I could possibly think of is possible differences in hangers? Which wouldn't be hard to change. As far as the actual muffler goes though you should be fine.
I didn't want to take the chances after Borla told me it would take welding and cutting, thanks for the idea though, I looked into doing that but $175 per muffler from jegs!? Wow that would've been expensive. I ended up going with the Ford Racing FR500s Exhaust. No drone at all and it is very deep and not to loud, I do wish it was a little louder at idle, but thats what gives it no drone. How do you like yours?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I love mine. No offense to any other exhaust, but after having mine the only other exhaust that I have really liked on the V6 are the SLP Loudmouths. Two downfalls with mine though: Big time drone at cruising speeds on the interstate and after it warms up its just kinda "puffy" at idle. I'm told an H-pipe will fix the idle situation. Circumstances have prevented me from further modification for now unfortunately and I'm not interested in getting resonators to try and fix the drone. I'll put up with it because I love the sound everywhere in the rpm range.
I pulled up at the local Ford dealership one day and the clerk told me she said she like my Mustang. Then she asked me if it was a 5.0 (because she herself had one). I had to tell her no it was a 4.0. She was like, "Oh, it sounds like one." <------- BIGGEST COMPLIMENT EVER!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
I love mine. No offense to any other exhaust, but after having mine the only other exhaust that I have really liked on the V6 are the SLP Loudmouths. Two downfalls with mine though: Big time drone at cruising speeds on the interstate and after it warms up its just kinda "puffy" at idle. I'm told an H-pipe will fix the idle situation. Circumstances have prevented me from further modification for now unfortunately and I'm not interested in getting resonators to try and fix the drone. I'll put up with it because I love the sound everywhere in the rpm range.
I pulled up at the local Ford dealership one day and the clerk told me she said she like my Mustang. Then she asked me if it was a 5.0 (because she herself had one). I had to tell her no it was a 4.0. She was like, "Oh, it sounds like one." <------- BIGGEST COMPLIMENT EVER!!!!!!!!
Really?! Loudmouths are so raspy! I had boomtubes before and I hated them, drone was terrible, my friends thought it was awesome, but a family member with his fair share around muscle cars called me a ricer and said it sounded terrible. After getting the FR500s installed, he's amazed at the purr it gives as the engine winds down and thinks it truly sounds good. The best part, NO DRONE AT ALL! Also an H-pipe probably will not fix you situation, the mustang v6 is an even firing engine and has no need for an H pipe, I had a crappy H-pipe before and an amazing shop in Las Vegas who did all the exhausts for GT500 KR's said there was no need for an H-pipe on my car and custom bent divorced duals. It is unbeleivably deep at startup and at WOT the car absolutely screams.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Ya I currently have divorced duals all the way back too. I love the classic muscle "gurgle" it gives when it comes down from a rev. Normally I don't let anyone drive my car, but I just had to know how it sounded from take off from the outside. So I had to let my friend take it out lol. Knowing how much I care about my car he took it really easy, and I had to tell him to get on it so I knew how it sounded at WOT! Anyway I've had my Borla for a little over a year now and it sounds good as ever--as it should with a million mile warranty
Glad to hear you are happy with your FR500s!!