Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New o2 sensor = CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
scooter09

Default New o2 sensor = CEL codes

Yesterday I put my car in the shop to replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave and throw out bearing ... As the mechanics were replacing those said parts they replaced an o2 sensor that got "pinched"

I have a 2006 v6 vert with a ford racing cia, dual exhaust and bama 87P tune with 60k miles

Everything was fine all I needed was a new clutch package but as soon as they replaced that and the o2 sensor my car has constantly been throwing codes for all 4 o2 sensors and egr .... Also my a/c stopped blowing cold

Need huge help please because they haven't figured out anything to help me
Please email me at johnschoettler@aol.com

I will post te error codes as soon as I get them written down
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
scooter09

My sct tuner says p0135 p0141 p0155 p0161
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
JimC

They all seem to be related, and all point back to the first one (P0135). So my guess is that the shop screwed something up putting the sensor in. Not sure why it would affect your AC so that is probably an unrelated issue.
----------------------------------------------------
P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11)

During testing the HO2S Heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draw. The test fails when current draw exceeds a calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected.

Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S.
Water in harness connector.
Open VPWR circuit.
Open GND circuit.
Low battery voltage.
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S heater.
Damaged PCM.

Wiring.
Damaged HO2S heater.
Damaged PCM.
-------------------------------------------------------

0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

See DTC P0135

----------------------------------------------------
P0155 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-21)

See DTC P0135

--------------------------------------------------------------
P0161 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-22)

See DTC P0135
Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 PM
scooter09

so if they screwed up putting the sensor in what should i do to fix this? the mechanic is adiment that the sensor is fine so he will not replace it with oem (new sensor is bosch)

ive been thinking about taking it to the dealer and see what the warranty will cover but i dont see it going very smooth having a cai and tune and also the new sensor being a bosch
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM
JimC

Did you show him the codes? He can be as adamant as he wants that the sensor is fine,

But

you say the car was running fine until he replaced the sensor, and the codes are all pointing to a problem with the sensor. He either didn't install it correctly or did some wiring damage - because it is obvious that despite the mechanics statement, something isn't right.

One of my friends had a Bosch sensor and he had problems. He replaced it with OEM and didn't have any more issues.

And with a 2006 you don't have a warranty now I suspect so CAI, tune, and replacement sensor won't matter.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 PM
scooter09

He won't replace the sensor unless I buy it because he gave me the Bosch sensor free for pinching the stock one

Also when I bought the car with 40k miles I got an extended warranty for 3yr 30k miles

Any suggestions on the a/c?

I will bring the car back tomorrow and talk to the owner about the sensor getting replaced with oem
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The shop probably bought a 'universal' style Bosch sensor (cheaper). The universal style sensors require you to reuse the OEM connector by cutting it off the OEM O2 sensor and crimping it onto the bare wires of the bosch.

If you wire the O2 sensor incorrectly, it will cause problems and throw a code. These instructions are for all Bosch universal style O2 sensors. It just happens to be sourced on a Passat forum. These are the same instructions that come in the box for the 4-wire sensor.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/info...stallation.pdf

As for the A/C, it could be as simple as a plug connector left unconnected.

BTW the OEM sensor is probably a BOSCH sensor rebadged for Ford. Most OEMs are.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
scooter09

Would one bad sensor throw a code for all 4?
The sensor he put on there is obviously a different sensor in shape and size and wire harness so I will see what i can do about getting a different one put on there

And what plug or connector is anywhere near the transmission that would be disconnected and cause the a/c to stop blowing cold?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Let me make sure I got this right. Your car goes in the shop for work unrelated to the O2 sensors and A/C. It comes back throwing codes for the sensors (because they messed up and pinched one) and your A/C is broken. Now they say they will not replace the OEM sensor they broke with another OEM sensor unless you pay for it?

If it were me, I'd take it to Ford, have them fix it right, then file a small claims action against the shop with documentation from Ford saying the shop messed up. It's hard to lose in small claims court unless your claim is ridiculous, which yours clearly is not.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM
scooter09

That sounds reasonable ... It's just hard to pinpoint how a clutch replacement has anything to do with the a/c going out

Quick Reply: New o2 sensor = CEL codes