Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual Transmission Fluid Change anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Question Manual Transmission Fluid Change anyone?

Since arriving in SW FL, I've noticed on real hot days the trans is becoming a bit argumentative between gears so... at 133K miles, I figure it's time to change the "fluid". Yes, it's fluid in there... Mercon. Why? I dunno... it's weird.

Anyhow, the Haynes manual is pretty straightforward as to method... simply remove the transmission drain bolt... drain it... and fill it through the fill hole on the trans case....

Seems a bit simple... and they do say you'll have to come up with a way to get the fluid up in there... as of course, there's really no filler tube or dipstick.

So... anyone that's undertaken this little task, I would be immensely appreciative of any helpful hints... things to avoid or be aware of that you could share here.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Nothing much too it. Use synthetic fluid, jack it up all around so it is level and you can get a proper fill level reading. To fill I use a clear plastic tube about 3' long to fill the trans from the engine bay. Make sure the diameter is small enough to fit into the fill hole. I use the cap as the funnel clamping the hose onto the cap (after cutting it open!) and pop a few holes in the bottom of the bottle so it will flow the fluid smoothly. Keep a plastic bag handy for the used bottles as it will drip all over when you swap bottles. Also, don't put holes in the last bottle since you won't use the whole thing. I pour some into one of the earlier used bottles so I can reuse it but its messy. Shop rags or a towel over the work area is a good idea as its easy to drip or spill on the engine. Should be able to find a how to if you search the forum as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I used to have a real nasty grind. Amsoil ATF took care of that. Dont touch RP
Old 07-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! Duh... I did a few searches looking around for the procedure... never thought to peruse the "How To" realm. Meanwhile, makes sense the... "funnel extender". As I recall, you fill to the bottom of the filler hole. Can you eyeball that from the engine bay? No worries, I'll manage... just wondering.

And how does one "level" a Mustang? ;-) On what reference plane do you place the level and how far off plumb is acceptable?

(Rhetorical question. I'm sure eyeballing it will work just fine).
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
I used to have a real nasty grind. Amsoil ATF took care of that. Dont touch RP
+1 I love the AMSoil ATF I use.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

There's a writeup here on running the hose through the shifter cover. I haven't tried it myself but it looks like the easy way to do it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ion-fluid.html
Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

PERFECT. Thanks! Bookmarked for posterity and future reference!