Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New to mods, exhaust etc, help!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Redleather96

Default New to mods, exhaust etc, help!

So, i just got a 2006 4.0 Mustang Premium, 80k Miles, 1 Owner
First mustang i've owned so far, and i'm fascinated by the world of modifications, but my fascination is tied with confusion, so i just want to keep a thread to post my stupid noob questions on.
To start things off, exhaust.
I just want a nice sound, with a decent look
What's the difference between true dual exhausts, and a GT takeoff exhaust?
Is a aftermarket exhaust better than a GT takeoff exhaust?
Which exhaust gives me more bang for my buck, and which should i go with.

Thanks in advance!
-Konner
Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Congrats on your new car and welcome to MF! You definately came to the right place. You'll learn a lot here. True dual exhaust means that the car has two exhaust pipes running out of it. Sometimes those two pipes may be connected to each other in the form of an H, called an h-pipe, sometimes as an X, called and x-pipe. Sometimes they may not even meet with each other at all, which is called straight pipes. GT take off exhaust means that the pipes and the muffler originally came off a stock Mustang GT. GTs have stock h-pipes on it. GT take off mufflers are a popular choice due to the low cost, but if you're getting it done, you might as well go all out if you have the funds. I have an h-pipe on mine with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers and I love how they sound. Check out some videos on YouTube, they can give you an idea of how different set ups sound.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Redleather96

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Congrats on your new car and welcome to MF! You definately came to the right place. You'll learn a lot here. True dual exhaust means that the car has two exhaust pipes running out of it. Sometimes those two pipes may be connected to each other in the form of an H, called an h-pipe, sometimes as an X, called and x-pipe. Sometimes they may not even meet with each other at all, which is called straight pipes. GT take off exhaust means that the pipes and the muffler originally came off a stock Mustang GT. GTs have stock h-pipes on it. GT take off mufflers are a popular choice due to the low cost, but if you're getting it done, you might as well go all out if you have the funds. I have an h-pipe on mine with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers and I love how they sound. Check out some videos on YouTube, they can give you an idea of how different set ups sound.
Could i get some links to recommended exhaust systems please?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Regardless if you go with duals or stick with a single, you won't get much, if any, performance gains. There are simply too many other air flow restrictions in the 4.0 and the exhaust isn't one of the bigger ones. There are many choices for exhausts; duals and singles; for you to choose from that will improve your exhaust note a bit but don't expect the V8 sound. Other forum members with the 4.0 that have done exhaust work will chime in. Congrats and welcome.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Redleather96

I've come to a conclusion, i LOVE the sound of SLP loudmouth exhausts,
http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

Think i'm going with this one, thoughts?
I'm also a bit clueless when it comes to pipes, (H Pipes, X Pipes, Catbacks)
any help please?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Here are three great tech articles from American Muscle. They are perhaps the most popular online Mustang shop, so these are very helpful and they also offer the lowest prices on most of the items. These gave me an idea of what I was dealing with when I was in the same process you are in now.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/conver...l-exhaust.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...ers-guide.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/unders...t-systems.html
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I loved the sound of the gt take off mufflers on my 4.0! I had plenty of compliments and most thought it was a gt! If I were to do it again I would have gotten the h pipe versus the x! H is deeper sounding! The 4.0 with dual exhaust was actually better sounding then my 5.0 (with stock mufflers) not the case any more!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
outlook.aj

I Haven't upgraded to dual exhaust yet. But I just recently installed the Flowmaster American Thunder axelback exhaust. Although it doesn't give me the V8 sound, it sounds great for the $175 I spent on it.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

You won't ever really notice any performance gains upgrading the exhaust and also you will never really find a exhaust system that sounds like a v8. If you want a decent sounding exhaust try to find h pipe for the v6 because the x pipe makes it just sound raspy(IMO). As for the axle backs it just depends how much your actually willing to spend on it. If you want to take the cheap route go to a muffler shop and get them to weld you some custom pipes to go out the back. No mufflers just the piping
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I've got the Ford Racing Performance Pack for the V6 on mine. It comes with the catback exhaust ( X pipe ), CAI, and the 93 octane tune to make all mods work together. My Stang is an automatic, so the shift points were modified as well with the tune. I noticed a considerable gain in performance, crisp throttle response, and I love the way the mufflers sound and look. The mufflers are Ford Mustang GT "Bullet" factory issue. Like all have said, it won't sound like a V8 (close), but it sounds great non the less! Enjoy your new toy!

Last edited by flyhigh@mach1; 08-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.