Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
mustangracer423

Default New Clutch Problem

Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 V6 5 speed 4.0 Pony Package Mustang. I bought it at 23000 miles and drove it decently hard the last few years. About 1 week ago I noticed that when i shifted very fast between gears that my RPMs would go higher than they should as if my car was spinning its tires. Obviously I figured it was the clutch and set out to replace the clutch. I plan on selling the car soon so I didn't want to be a good clutch. This is the clutch I bought on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330723840237...84.m1497.l2649

I did my research and I believe I did get the right clutch for the 2005-06 Mustang before they changed the clutch. The clutch was put in on Saturday. My old clutch had gotten very heavy and when I sat in the car and started to drive it with the new clutch it was very different. It was super light and it engaged way closer to the floor. It actually took me a few miles to be able to shift smoothly. Also when I shifted it was a lot smoother. When i shifted the car stuck less between gears than the previous clutch. The clutch felt great and very easy to use. It was lighter and I could shift faster.

Now 5 days later the clutch is heavier but not quite to the point of the last clutch. i am also sticking more when I shift. I am wondering if this is normal from breaking in a clutch or if there is something else going on. I have changed the transmission fluid twice since I've had the car. The car has now 65,000 miles and is 7 years old. Did i get the wrong clutch? Is this normal behavior for a new clutch? I have driven a friends 2006 Z06 Corvette multiple times and it shifts so smooth and isn't heavy at all even after 40,000 miles. I don't expect the clutch to be amazing. I just didn't expect it to go from so light to very heavy this fast. I thought I had a new clutch with a pressure plate that wasn't so loose. I also had the bearings replaced when the clutch was put in. Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to sell the car now that I have money to get a faster Mustang and I know I can't do that if the clutch is not going to work right.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
05 V6 Hellion

I am currently in the process of replacing the slave cylinder on my car and am fully expecting a soft pedal feel once I get done. I think that your clutch got firmer after use because it was working the air bubbles out of the system. Just my own thought.

Did you have your flywheel resurfaced when you had the clutch replaced? This is the only reason that I can think of that would cause it to stick more between gears and still have a firm clutch pedal. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I personally prefer a firmer clutch pedal. Firmer clutch means higher clamping force. Higher clamping force means higher torque capacity. If anyone asks about the firm clutch pedal when you are trying to sell it, just tell them what I said in the sentence above. Make it out to be a selling point instead of a drawback!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM
05 V6 Hellion

To clarify, not having your flywheel resurfaced could possibly cause the clutch to stick.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
mustangracer423

It was resurfaced and cleaned a little bit but there was nothing grinded away on it. I was told there were a few small cracks that did not have to be fixed. I prefer a softer clutch because it would let me shift faster.