Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need help please. I have a few quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
V6Frank

Question Need help please. I have a few quick questions

Hi all

I have a few small questions that and was wondering to get some info on. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before but I could not find any threads or definite answers. I have a 2006 v6 auto model btw.

1. Ive noticed lately that my car decides to rumble at random times, mostly when I'm stopped. It kind of sounds like she wants to turn off on me, almost as if i were running out of gas. And it makes no difference whether the A/C is on or not. Any ideas?

2. A few weeks ago my 300lb uncle came to visit for a few days and I had to drive him around for a bit. I noticed, within those few days, a semi loud knocking noise that sounds like its coming front passenger side wheel whenever I have to break pretty quickly and has not stopped since then. Again, any ideas on what this could be would be awesome.

3. Any recommendations on a good/economical suspension kits? I just want something non-adjustable that lowers and maybe ads some smoothness to my ride a little bit. It doesn't have to be anything crazy because I don't race my car at all. Any suggestions?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6Frank
Hi all

I have a few small questions that and was wondering to get some info on. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before but I could not find any threads or definite answers. I have a 2006 v6 auto model btw.

1. Ive noticed lately that my car decides to rumble at random times, mostly when I'm stopped. It kind of sounds like she wants to turn off on me, almost as if i were running out of gas. And it makes no difference whether the A/C is on or not. Any ideas?

2. A few weeks ago my 300lb uncle came to visit for a few days and I had to drive him around for a bit. I noticed, within those few days, a semi loud knocking noise that sounds like its coming front passenger side wheel whenever I have to break pretty quickly and has not stopped since then. Again, any ideas on what this could be would be awesome.

3. Any recommendations on a good/economical suspension kits? I just want something non-adjustable that lowers and maybe ads some smoothness to my ride a little bit. It doesn't have to be anything crazy because I don't race my car at all. Any suggestions?

1: not sure on this, but clean the throttle body and the MAF. Might not be the problem but it cant hurt anyways.

2: Obviously something suspension related. just a guess...possibly a bad ball joint or something along those lines?

3: whats your price budget? are you looking for just springs or are you looking to get shocks/struts along with it? Without the shocks/struts the ride will become alot more harsh. If anything, steeda sports or eibach pro springs possibly as your springs. As far as shocks and struts, depends on price range.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

It could be your tie-rods for question 2. I just had mine replaced when I redid my suspension and it doesn't make a noise anymore. It could also be a strut mount, its hard to know without hearing it.

As for a new suspension set up, unfortunately they aren't cheap. I bought Koni Str Ts for $350 and Ford K springs for $200. My 'Stang feels better than the day I got her and handles extremely well around the tame corners around here. It was completely worth it, but you may have to save a little.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6Frank
Hi all

1 - How many miles since last tune-up?

2-
Sounds like a worn bushing, strut possibly.

3 -
If you're talking about doing a complete suspension kit all at once that will be the more expensive way to go. Watch the classifieds for springs/shock/struts for bargains and build it up a little at a time. A cheap upgrade to start is to install Prothane polyurethane bushings for your sway bars. (I think I have an extra new pair for the front bar, btw)
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
rds1952
1st Gear Member

check ford recalls. I don't know if its too late if repairs haven't been done yet. not sure for your model. I bought a 07 v6 used and the repairs had already been done. I think they were rocker arm related but don't remember for sure.

rds1952
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Regarding #1, I 2nd the TB cleaning.