Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What CAI to buy?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Default What CAI to buy?

BBK Black Out Cold Air Intake
(chrome or black i have a lime green stang)
or

SR Performance Cold Air Intake
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Never heard of SR Performance. I'd stick with a name brand. Just be aware that a no-tune required CAI without a tune may throw a code for running lean on the stock tune. And without a tune you may only see about 3-6 RWHP gain. Better to buy a tune-required CAI with a good custom tune for about 15-20 RWHP on the V6.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Never heard of SR Performance. I'd stick with a name brand. Just be aware that a no-tune required CAI without a tune may throw a code for running lean on the stock tune. And without a tune you may only see about 3-6 RWHP gain. Better to buy a tune-required CAI with a good custom tune for about 15-20 RWHP on the V6.
Thanks the only reason i wanted to buy this CAI was because i dont have a ton of cash to spend right now and it looked decent for the money with out the tune.. but maybe i should just wait for the cash to buy the combo... Also quick question the tune changes what gas you use? 93? or is that just an option tune.. i want to keep using regular due to cost.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

My suggestion too you is that you buy the cheapest CAI you can find for your stang. Just make sure it comes with a reusable high flow air filter. You do not even need to go with name brand. A cold air intake is a minor mod and all of them do the same performance wise. I bought this one for my 2000 v6 and its great, plus the chrome really gives a nice appearance under the hood. http://www.americanmuscle.com/muv6coairins.html
Don't believe me, check out the reviews for this product, it's not your year but just to give you an idea. This is also as generic as the come.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Yeah im thinking about ordering this.. http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...take-2005.html only thing is im curious as to hearing about a check engine light coming up with an after market intake? and is it true if you use a tuner that can make the check engine light go away.. i just want to buy that intake but i dont want to have a check engine light..
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cslix
Yeah im thinking about ordering this.. http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...take-2005.html only thing is im curious as to hearing about a check engine light coming up with an after market intake? and is it true if you use a tuner that can make the check engine light go away.. i just want to buy that intake but i dont want to have a check engine light..
Well my service engine light was on before I installed mine so I don't really know, but I don't think it will put yours on unless you don't have it hooked up correctly. And yes bama tuners like the ones on american muscle, will correct service engine light codes and shut them off. I've also heard they make drastic changes in performance and really wake up your mustang especially automatics. Im looking to get one shortly. Check out the reviews and tell me what you think
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

I would buy neither! no tune required intakes do almost nothing! save the money and buy a CAI/tune
Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snicksnipa
I would buy neither! no tune required intakes do almost nothing! save the money and buy a CAI/tune
wish i had the money :'(
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

wish i had the money :'(
I would buy the one you had your mindset on. A CAI will still benefit your car. It will replace the restrictive stock intake and it still slightly increases throttle response plus it looks good and makes a cool noise when you get on it You can't expect a 80$ mod to drastically improve your cars performance. But they do much more with a tune. You should buy your cold air intake and than later down the road buy yourself a bama tuner.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

That's not a bad CAI to go with if you're on a budget. We actually sell a ton of these and they have a lot of great reviews!

You'll notice the famous "CAI sound" and a slight increase of throttle response, as well as hp/tq increase. Don't forget, if you get this CAI now, you can always buy a Bama SF3 tuner down the road and get your sixer tuned for this exact CAI. I know it's rough to buy multiple parts at once, sometimes taking smaller steps at a time is the right way to go!

If you have any questions or need any help, just let me know!

Shane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What CAI to buy?