Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle Swap Confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Default Axle Swap Confirmation

Can anyone confirm that the newtakeoff axle 4R3Z4010BA is an exact fit for the V6 Mustangs? I know they say on the site its a direct fit for the GT and the GT and V6 bodies are identical but has anyone ordered one of these and installed it. If so, what parts did you replace (bolts, etc.) and where did you get the Cobra pinion flange from? I've been putting off doing the swap due to finances but I now have the money and am ready. Also since I bought the car used in 2007, there has been an increasing whine from the rear of the car during both acceleration and deceleration with the loudest at 30 and 60 MPH. I know its the axle so I need to do this soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

That is the same part number on other websites as well, so that is the axle, for the cobra flange try latemodelrestoration, good prices and free shipping.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
JimC

The axles mount exactly the same - 3 points (UCA and 2 LCA) and the shocks mount the same. The only thing that needs to be changed is the pinion flange unless the axle is coming from a 2011+ car. In that case my understanding is that the flange is the same as on the 2005-2009 V6 and it is a direct swap.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I see this axle has a 3.31 gear ratio.
Hopefully these are original 3.31's installed by Ford.
3 years ago I purchased an 8.8 with 3.73's from this company.
The 3.73's had coast whine. It got worse.
Had FRPP 4.10's installed. Nice & quiet now.
I see this company has a new disclaimer...
Disclaimer
NewTakeOff.com recommends professional installation on our axles, proper back lash adjustments maybe be necessary before operation. NewTakeOff.com and any of it’s affiliates cannot be held responsible for improper/non professional installation. Shipping is not included and must ship truck freight to business address.

Hmmmm.....the backlash may need adjusting,
and if the backlash needs adjusting how about the pattern and the pinion preload...
Hmmmm.....if you install it and drive it without checking backlash, it may whine......

Something to think about.... Who installed the 3.31's in this axle??
I'm not trying to slam this company, but gear whine sucks and the axle i bought
from them had coast whine. 8.8's are not very forgiving. they have to be done perfectly.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

NewTakeOff.com recommends professional installation on our axles, proper back lash adjustments maybe be necessary before operation. NewTakeOff.com and any of it’s affiliates cannot be held responsible for improper/non professional installation. Shipping is not included and must ship truck freight to business address.

Not for the faint at heart.
They are covering their ***** is all.
Its best to check that stuff before
install of any used part, take-off
or junk-yard find.

They sell so many take-off rear ends, a
link to the particular flavor you are looking
at would help in answering your question.
Not enough info to make a call on fitment...

BTW, what CAI are you running with your SCT X3 'tune'?

Last edited by 157dB; 08-17-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
BTW, what CAI are you running with your SCT X3 'tune'?
No CAI yet. The tune I'm running was free from American Muscle when I bought the tuner. Its a 91/93 Octane performance tune based on my car's computer. After my mechanic friend completes the axle swap (sweet deal - $250), I'll be looking to get this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/trufiber-...2009/p/HDT115/

That has a built in air induction on the hood itself. I know there have been posts for and against using this hood (temperature issues) but I think with the tuner I should be able to correct that, if its an issue at all.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

i have been on the fence about swapin to a 8.8 also rather then installing a lsd in my 7.5

if you do it keep us posted
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
JimC

For what it costs for the parts and installation of tlok and gears in the 7.5 - I would have been money ahead just swapping to the 8.8 to begin with. Especially after I broke the 7.5 with a tlok, gears, and LPW girdle on it using just a tune and set of drag radials.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Axle is on a pallet at the shop where it will be installed. Had to get a cobra pinion flange from Ford (got it cheaper than online) shipped overnight to a Ford parts warehouse. Will pick up in the morning. Monday is the big day when the swap will take place. I'll try to get some photos.

Last edited by kc5mhb; 09-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Ok its finally done! I don't have pics because I was helping install the axle and my hands were quite dirty. Here are the highlights: Once the car was on the rack, the only issue we had was getting the upper arm bushing bolt out - it is spring loaded. One thing I highly recommend is if you have to change the pinion flange, find someone who has done this before and has the proper tools. Mine took a Snap On 3/4 air impact tool to mount the Cobra pinion flange as the Snap On 1/2" drive air impact just would not get the 16 - 29 inch pounds of resistance while turning the pinion after tightening the flange nut (Ford Specs). From what I was told, this is critical because it would affect the lash. The rest of the install went fairly easy in a shop environment with 2 of us working, 3 of us to stabilize, remove and install the new axle. Test run was awesome and there was no whine from the new one. The final test was to see if both wheels would spin from a dead stop which it did for roughly 20 feet before I let up. The car seems to drive better and I notice in cornering, I can hear the tires scrubbing the pavement more so that means possibly a little more tire wear. Brakes were bad on the back so I had those done too since we were there. Glad its finally finished.

** Cobra Pinion Flange: E9TZ-4851-A is available from Ford Dealers for the same cost as ordering online, unless you know someone who can get you a discount. Mine was $35 plus tax and I had it in my hand the very next day.**

Special thanks to Bass Automotive in Baton Rouge, La. for all their help! Y'all are awesome!

Last edited by kc5mhb; 09-10-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Axle Swap Confirmation