Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual trans fluid.... yeah, it's time....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual trans fluid.... yeah, it's time....

Of late and particularly on hot days... duh.... like every farking day here in SW FL... the trans on the 05 has been getting quite balky. Well, today it got really balky this afternoon.... 97 degrees in the shade and I'm actually fighting to get the thing into 1st gear when stopped at a light.

Soooo... yeah kiddies, I don't think the fluid has ever been changed and there's 135K on the clock... so today, I stopped at AZO in search of the Amsoil stuff everyone seems to rave about....

Well, they don't have it... however they DID have Mobil 1 synthetic ATF... so I grabbed 3 quarts... gad, 10 bucks a quart no less.... glad I don't have to do this too often.

Have the process bookmarked already so that's good to go.... meanwhile, just wanted to post up a quick note about the forthcoming procedure pursuant to the aforementioned material.

I'm sure that the Mobil 1 is good stuff.... but then, better to hear from the gang here before I go dumping the stuff into the trans.

Anyone had any issues with the Mobil 1 ATF?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I used Amsoil @ 35k, but I'm sure the Mobil1 will be just fine. Can't be any worse than the black sludge that's about to come out of your trans, right?

I see you live in the Cape. I live in Fort Myers last year, and my parents have a house in the Cape.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Its probably to late for the fluid change to make a difference no matter what u use. Should have done it when you were supposed to. Hope your keeping the engine oil a bit fresher.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

We shall see. As to engine oil... yeah, every 3K miles to be sure and always synthetic. I still find it bizarre to have auto trans fluid in a manual trans. WTF was so wrong with 90 weight gear oil anyhow?

I'm sure the new fluid will fix any issues.... as it only gets ugly when hot. Outta the driveway in the early AM and it's fine.

I'll have to keep an eye out for you Baddog. ;-)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Boneman, I know where a Amsoil dealer is in the cape. Drive south on del prado all the way down to cape coral parkway and take a right. There's a small autoshop on the right hand side of the street, from memory I'd say around a mile down. They had Amsoil stickers on the shop windows.

There's also a quicklube down on 46th & del prado called Superlube. Never go there
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by FrostByte
Its probably to late for the fluid change to make a difference no matter what u use. Should have done it when you were supposed to. Hope your keeping the engine oil a bit fresher.
+1
At this point in the game,
75W rear diff oil would be
your best and cheapest bet.

The damage has already gone
far beyond anything synthetic
ATF can fix..

Amsoil hand down.
Mobil is for the masses...
Big difference between the two besides the price....
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

My tranny was noisy last year. I put in RP front to back. Took a couple of weeks but the noise went away.
Also NEVER rest your hand on the stick shift and the aftermarket short shifters transmit more tranny noise into the car it sems.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
We shall see. As to engine oil... yeah, every 3K miles to be sure and always synthetic...
I'm afraid you lost about 20 years. Even todays dino oils can surpass 3k miles and I can point you to a number of articles that tout the 15k mile oil changes with synthetic and even the oil manufacturers have let the cat out of the bag that anything less than 10k miles on a synthetic is throwing your money away and hurting the environment. They also claim NO BENEFIT to the engine from changing any oil too early. I've been sticking with 10k mile oil changes since the early 90's and my vehicle engines (at least 3 vehicles) have surpassed 200,000 miles and 3 others past 150,000 miles with no ill effects. And 3 of those were also tow vehicles.

Even the car manufacturers don't require 3,000 mile oil changes anymore (try reading your OM). The only business that perpetuates the 3,000 or 5,000 mile oil change is the Jiffy Lube and similar places.

It simply burns my britches when people insist that you need to change oil early or your car will pay the price.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Just changed mine at 75,000 using regular dex/merc. I had 3 quarts lying around so I thought at least new merc was better than old. I bought the car with 50,000 on it and I have no idea if it was changed before. It came out a darker shade of red, but not overly dark so I suspect it had a prior change. It has always shifted fine but I have an unusual problem with 1st when starting from a light I always hit after getting off the highway after about 50 miles of commuting. It starts out fine from the light, then seems to skip or lurch. For some reason, it only does it at this point in my commute. The change did nothing for the problem and, while I'll likely change over to Amsoil in the near future, I suspect the problem is not something it will resolve. Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

I just put Mobil 1 in my trans after my clutch change about 600 miles ago, shifts feel slightly smoother, but I also have a CHE brace.

Quick Reply: Manual trans fluid.... yeah, it's time....