Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

extra horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

If i put a supercharger or turbo in would i have to take out my BAMA tune or how would tht work? and ive heard both superchargers and turbos sooner or later "blow up" is this true and which is more realiable? my car only has 57,000 miles
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I have a 03 GT and my car only has 49,000 miles with two blown engines (whithin 10 mts). As long as you have a reliable person install it and (most importantly) a good tuner to tune it you want have any problems. I learned that one the hard way. GL!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangwooley
I have a 06 v6 mustang with a BAMA tuner, jlt intake, and a flowmaster 40 series exhaust. I wanna add more horsepower and i dont have the money to afford the insurance on a gt. So any ideas how to add more horse power?
If your looking for more power & quickness off the line its torque you want not HP. If your looking for top end speed than yea look to improve hp. What tunes do you have? 93 octane tunes customized for max torque or hp are a step in the right direction short of mechanical upgrades.
Swapping the rear gear to 3.73 or 4.10 will give you greater torque multiplication and improve performance you can feel in the seat of your pants as they say.
Don't forget nitrous as a less expensive FI option. Any FI plans should include a rear upgrade if you plan on any regular spirited driving. But you can always drive it until it brakes.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
JimC

If i put a supercharger or turbo in would i have to take out my BAMA tune or how would tht work? and ive heard both superchargers and turbos sooner or later "blow up" is this true and which is more realiable? my car only has 57,000 miles
You will need a new tune specific to the power adder you are using.

And they blow up? News to me.

I ran nitrous (75 shot) for 2 seasons on my 2006 4.0. Lots of track passes on that set up.

At 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger on the car. I sold the car this June when I ordered the 2013. It had 203,000 miles on it, original engine and transmission. I took it to the track a couple of weeks before I sold it and it was still running mid 12's.

The new owner said it is still running great, the Xcharger still screams when he gets on it, and he is planning to run it at the track now.

With a good tune and proper maintenance it will last. The supercharger is even easier on the engine and drive train then the nitrous was. Nitrous puts a big hit and torque load on all at once, while the supercharger (or turbo) are more linear.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you're looking for cheap ways to gain power, you could add headers. I had shorty headers on my v6 and could feel a difference, especially in the mid range. Also, swap out your rear end to a GT 8.8" with 4.10's. You will get a locking differential and 4.10's really aren't bad on the highway. I've been running 4.10's over a year on the GT and I drove 90 miles round trip for class three times a week. 65mph is around 2,400 rpms. Gas mileage on my GT with only gears and axle backs was between 26-28mpg at the speed limit.

Superchargers are more reliable and Explorer Express (X-Charger) has the best superchargers for V6's. Turbos make more power though.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

im thinking of putting my tune to 93, getting shorty headers, BBK 70mm throttle body, EDIS coil pack, Auburn slip differential-28 spline 7.4 in, BBK lower control arm kit and new gears. how much horsepower and torque could all this add?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

In terms of numbers? Not more than 15-25, and that's if you get some really nice headers and an aggressive 93 tune.

But the gears will give you enormously better acceleration and the limited slip diff will help you launch much better/harder. However, you run the risk of really damaging your 7.5 rear end with these mods. People on here have had their 7.5s go out on them with just boltons before, so gears might solidify the outcome here, and should that happen you are out of the money it cost you to have that auburn diff, and gears installed...

You are better off skipping the throttlebody and coil pack (not to mention all the problems people have reported with aftermarket coil packs and throttlebodies) and using that money for an 8.8" take off rear end with 3.73s or 4.10s (your preference) already installed with the limited slip diff as well, all in a nice package that won't fail anytime soon as there are GT owners running around with WAY more power on their stock rear ends with no problems.

Nobody mentioned tires, but with your mods chances are you are going to have a spinfest and terrible handling if you run the stock base V6 tires (or even the pirellis). The control arms will help with wheel hop, but you will still spin around without good tires that can grip worth a damn.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 AM
JimC

i

BBK 70mm throttle body,

EDIS coil pack,
No need to change the throttle body or coil pack - you won't see enough to justify the change, and people have had quite a few problems with these. The stock parts will work fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 AM
JimC

Auburn slip differential-28 spline 7.4 in,

and new gears.
By the time you factor in the cost of the new differential and gears, and installation, you will be better off with a take off 8.8" rear end from a 2005-2010 GT or any 2011+ Mustang.

With just a CAI, lower control arms, Tlok, 3.73's, LPW girdle, and a set of drag radials I broke the 7.5" rear end. The swap cost less than it cost me to build up the 7.5