Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

lost power and shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
wolfcryundermoon

i know...it's acting like it's not getting gas, at first it would start and then run rough and cut out, the more you tried to make it go, the faster it shut off...then it refused to start at all...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Maybe clogged fuel filter/broken fuel pump or clogged fuel lines???
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
wolfcryundermoon

i was told the code is po106 the mechanic said it's getting fuel, in his opinion perhaps too much fuel
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP/BARO) Sensor Range/Performance

Description: MAP sensor input to the powertrain control module (PCM) is monitored and is not within the calibrated value.

Possible Causes:
Slow responding MAP sensor
Electrical circuit failure
Damaged MAP sensor

Diagnostic Aids: VREF voltage should be between 4.0 and 6.0 volts. The PID reading is in frequency.

GO to Pinpoint Test DM .
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=24
DM15 specifically for MAP diagnostics.

Looks at least initially to me as an EGR issue. Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Module (ESM) not liking something.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=221

I'm no mechanic, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night... Seriously though, doubt it's excessive fuel delivery, that's a symptom of the EGR issue if the fuel pressure is actually high, that's all.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

In fact...the magic of google after this:

http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=37741
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM
wolfcryundermoon

they did try and replace the whole egr, which the map sensor is in and it made no difference according to the mechanic at the garage...
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolfcryundermoon
they did try and replace the whole egr, which the map sensor is in and it made no difference according to the mechanic at the garage...
They view the voltage difference from the 2 as the service manual states for the test? Can be just a leaking line going to it, etc..
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM
wolfcryundermoon

that i don't know...we took it there because we know the mechanic, it's a small garage, does inspections and general repairs, told me it was above their capabilities after trying to replace the egr and maf sensors with no difference....it has to be towed back home, then maybe to a ford dealer at some point...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I'd at least attempt to DIY at this stage. Having the dealer hook it up to the VCM tool I'm sure will let them find it relatively quickly as to the issue, but between that diagnosis and then actually fixing what's wrong, that won't be a small bill.

I'd try to monitor what the BARO PID shows for ODB-II reading from rest to when it's trying to run. Vacuum line could be clogged, leaking, may need to clean up the EGR passage... But that should show part of the story anyhow. Significantly higher = restriction, lower = leak. If fuel pressure is too high, likely a leak I believe.

The only thing that's odd to me is this came on suddenly, yes? Usually from what I've read this will show up as a DTC, but doesn't kill the engine. Or at least it doesn't right away as in your case.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM
wolfcryundermoon

i was driving along 50mph, and saw the speedometer going down fast, then it felt odd, i thought transmission but that was just rebuilt in february, then it sputtered and died out, all in about 20 seconds time...i have about a 40 minute commute to work and the car ran normal up till that point!
it was towed to the garage that did the transmission and dash assembly for me in february, he seemed good when he had the car back then....so hoping he can figure it out and fix it without big bucks....

Quick Reply: lost power and shut off