Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What mods will increase speed and hp!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM
bsheetz

Default What mods will increase speed and hp!

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, Im sure you get this question alot. I am running an 07 V6 5 speed manual I want to increase speed and hp. I'm considering these mods. Is it worth it? Whats everyone's experience with these parts.

BBK Cold air intake
BAMA performance tune
4.10 gears
dual exhaust

anything else? I dont want to do a supercharger, nos or turbo.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bsheetz
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, Im sure you get this question alot. I am running an 07 V6 5 speed manual I want to increase speed and hp. I'm considering these mods. Is it worth it? Whats everyone's experience with these parts.

BBK Cold air intake
BAMA performance tune
4.10 gears
dual exhaust

anything else? I don't want to do a supercharger, nos or turbo.
This is definitely a great list of mods. If you're only going to do one for now, I would recommend a CAI and Tune! That will definitely be a great start. Gears are also great for drive ability and Exhaust will make it sound great.

I would suggest doing all these at some point and they're all great mods! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Dan
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

CAI/custom tune combo will net you the most performance gain out everything on your list! The performance gain on dual exhaust is minimal, however it will sound better.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

BBK Cold air intake
BAMA performance tune
The CAI & custom tune combo are probably the best power mods unless you go FI.

4.10 gears
Gears don't add power or top end but will get you off the line quicker. Unless you do a reasonable amount of highway driving, 4.10's are a good mod although they will lower your overall fuel mileage a little bit.

dual exhaust
Duals on the 4.0 will look good and sound a little better than stock but there's little to no gain. The V6 simply doesn't use enough air that the stock exhaust is that much of a restriction. Possibly cams and headers with those duals MIGHT add a few ponies.

If you have no intent of going FI, then there are a few other minor things you can do such as anything to reduce weight and reduce rotational mass. For the latter, an aluminum DS and lighter wheels help. Also, for higher top end (you DID say more speed) you'll need to replace the V6 stock DS which has been known to destroy itself somewhere above 120 MPH.

Disregard aftermarket TB's and TB spacers. They're useless unless you're pushing a LOT of air thru the engine.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
bsheetz

What about a throttle body and spacer? with these mods would I be able to at least keep up with stock GT's in my year?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What about a throttle body and spacer? with these mods would I be able to at least keep up with stock GT's in my year?
Excuse me while I clean my keyboard from the soda that just flew from my nose...

A stock '05 - '09 GT puts down about 265 RWHP. A stock '05 -'10 Pony puts down about 185 RWHP IIRC. All the mods you listed above will gain you about 20 RWHP on a good day. And an aftermarket TB on an NA S197; GT or Pony; will gain you NOTHING. And if you install a TB spacer, prepare to be laughed at.

Last edited by Nuke; 11-30-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Lol... throttle Body spacer. Throttle body won't do much unless you have plenty parts to compliment it, and it still won't do much... and the spacer... just what NUKE said.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
bsheetz

Originally Posted by Nuke
Excuse me while I clean my keyboard from the soda that just flew from my nose...
Forgive me for asking...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Stang010

You would need a full list of mods to keep up with a stock GT.

CAI
New headers (Long headers would add more power)
Dual Exhaust
Tuner with a custom high end tune for all your parts
Better gears would do great

Doing all this you may add around 40-50 HP and 50-60 Torque.

If you decided on FI though you could easily surpase a stock GT depending on the setup and quality but don't expect that if the GT has a couple of mods himself.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by Stang010
You would need a full list of mods to keep up with a stock GT.

CAI
New headers (Long headers would add more power)
Dual Exhaust
Tuner with a custom high end tune for all your parts
Better gears would do great

Doing all this you may add around 40-50 HP and 50-60 Torque.

If you decided on FI though you could easily surpase a stock GT depending on the setup and quality but don't expect that if the GT has a couple of mods himself.
Yeah you would need a lot more than that to keep up with a GT. If that is your goal you might want to look for a used Vortech supercharger. That would put you faster than a GT

Quick Reply: What mods will increase speed and hp!