Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine problems after longtubes and off road h-pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM
JRandall

Default Engine problems after longtubes and off road h-pipe installed

I have a 2008 Auto V6 mustang and ive already put in a BBK CAI, Throttle body , and the Throttle body spacer. Ive been driving around fine without a tune and everything has been going good. I recently installed the Pacesetter long tubes and the Pacesetter shorty off road h-pipe. And now my engine has a hard time being in idle, like it will drop to 250-500 rpm and just bounce like if i had Cams installed in it. I have to wait about 5-10 minutes every morning before i can drive it because it has a hard time going if i dont wait. I know i need to buy a tuner and tune for it, but since i cant buy that right now can i do something else to help it out, like changing spark plugs or oil filter?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

How long ago did you install the BBK throttle body and spacer?
Is your V6 F/I (force induced) or natural aspired? F/I, supercharged, turbo etc.
I've read several post where people encountered issues after installing the BBK TB and/or TB spacer. From what I have read, they are not beneficial if the car is not force induced.
Does the pacesetter long tubes and shorty off road require a custom tune?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
JRandall

Ive had the Throttle body and spacer for a couple of months without trouble. Its a natural aspired v6. Neither the longtubes or the hpipe required a tune, Though it is recommended, What i figured was i would buy all the bolt on parts and then get a tune for it all.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I hear ya bro! Hopefully, somone will chime in with some answers and/or suggestions for ya. ;-)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a lack of back pressure due to the long tubes and off-road H-pipe... BTW, you like how that sounds...?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Sounds like a lack of back pressure due to the long tubes and off-road H-pipe... BTW, you like how that sounds...?
lack or backpressure cause of the good stuff. Not mention with all that, the car is probably reading some really f'd up A/F ratios causing it to do that.<-- SEMI-educated assumption.... The tuner should be your next mod. You got the car breathing pretty well, now teach her how to breathe properly! lol.....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
JRandall

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
When I first put it on it sounded amazing. Had a nice deep rumble web using muffler deletes. But I put on the stock gt mufflers because it was obnoxiously loud lol. The gt mufflers make it sound kind of like a ricer once it gets passed 5000rpms so I'm gonna invest in borla tourings after the tuner
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
JRandall

Originally Posted by ZombieHuntr
lack or backpressure cause of the good stuff. Not mention with all that, the car is probably reading some really f'd up A/F ratios causing it to do that.<-- SEMI-educated assumption.... The tuner should be your next mod. You got the car breathing pretty well, now teach her how to breathe properly! lol.....
Haha yeah. It sucks I buy things to make it better but it turned on me. Yeah I'm ordering the tuner tomorrow. What can I do if I can't find my ECU 4digit code for the tuner?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRandall
When I first put it on it sounded amazing. Had a nice deep rumble web using muffler deletes. But I put on the stock gt mufflers because it was obnoxiously loud lol. The gt mufflers make it sound kind of like a ricer once it gets passed 5000rpms so I'm gonna invest in borla tourings after the tuner
I've heard no cats with an array of mufflers and IMO it still sounds ricey...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM
JimC

With the long tubes and deleted cats I think you need to adjust the tune. The computer is looking for information from the sensors that aren't there now.

Quick Reply: Engine problems after longtubes and off road h-pipe installed