Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Convertible top treatment

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
gotopless

Cool Convertible top treatment

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day.

I have just purchased a 2007 V6 Convertible, and wondered if anyone has suggestions for caring for the top.

I thought about treating it with a waterproofing spray similar to the ones you use to treat the inside of tents, but don't know if that's a great idea or not.

Any suggestions from the brilliant people who post here?

Thanks in advance!

Mary
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a convertible, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard good things about RaggTopp products. Vinyl tops don't usually need waterproofing like canvas tops. Your bigger concern should be using a good UV protectant after a good cleaning.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM
mkfrd

My top is black and will need to be replaced, probably this fall. It was patched with faded spots. I started using ArmorAll treatment wipes, the same wipes you would use on the dash and door panels. After 3 wipe downs, my top is now a consistent black color and looks almost new. Soak it down good; don't just wipe it off. I usually use 3-4 wipes each time.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Redfire2006

Originally Posted by Bitter
I don't have a convertible, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard good things about RaggTopp products. Vinyl tops don't usually need waterproofing like canvas tops. Your bigger concern should be using a good UV protectant after a good cleaning.
+1 for Ragg Topp products. I just got my 06 Convertible Mustang last week and the previous owner has been using Ragg Topp on it since buying it new. Said he put it on every other month even in winter. The top looks like NEW even after 6 years. He gave me what he had left of the Ragg Topp products with the car.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM
chuckdee

Originally Posted by Redfire2006
+1 for Ragg Topp products. I just got my 06 Convertible Mustang last week and the previous owner has been using Ragg Topp on it since buying it new. Said he put it on every other month even in winter. The top looks like NEW even after 6 years. He gave me what he had left of the Ragg Topp products with the car.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

Want; long tube headers
off road H pipe
cold air intake and tune
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chuckdee
I'll check them out. Thanks!
Yeah, me too. Thanks for that tip. I've got a brand new top and would like to keep it that way!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

I have tried just about all of them and I always go back to 303 Aerospace Protectant. It has been a marine standard for years and that is a much harsher environment.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM
chuckdee

Originally Posted by SteveDwsn
I have tried just about all of them and I always go back to 303 Aerospace Protectant. It has been a marine standard for years and that is a much harsher environment.

Ahh....thanks!

Want; long tube headers
off road H pipe
cold air intake and tune
Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

bookmarked.

I didn't know I should do any maintenance on my top :/
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
swinkmi

Yep Raggtop is the way to go. Now that we are talking about tops, has anyone had the edge of their top start to split? It's like where the rain gutter would normally be. Mine is cracking at the spots where it folds when its down. I went by the dealer early on and they told me that it's normal wear and tear on a convertible.......I would think it should last for 3 years before doing something like this though, although mine stays down more that it's up.

Quick Reply: Convertible top treatment