Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tools for the V6

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Default Tools for the V6

I've changed oil, spark plugs, wheels and some other basic stuff in the past before I moved to the US.

As I basically moved here with one sports bag of clothes, I left my old tools in the UK. Honestly, they weren't great.

Can you awesome guys help me put together a basic list of tools for me to do some of the basic stuff on my car (basic service, changing serpentine belt, installing a new head unit and speakers)?

What I figure I'll need as starters:

-Hydraulic Jack
-Jack Stands
-Drip Pan
-Metric and Imperial (is feet and inches called Imperial in the US?) sockets
-Spark plug socket
-Flathead and philips screwdrivers

Not sure what else, but we'res a good place to get this stuff from? There are places like Sears and Autozone nearby, but I don't know how good they are for tools or if there is somewhere that is cheaper but better...
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby?! They have a large variety tools at a great price!
I purchased a hydraulic jack, brake caliper kit, 64 piece ratchet kit, wrenches, screw drivers and etc.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 02-26-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

I just checked them out and damn, they're cheap! They have a store about 10 miles away. Awesome, thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

To answer your question, feet and inches are called feet and inches but US sockets are called SAE. Don't ask me what it stands for.

Harbor Freight does have great prices but I'd be selective about some of your tools. In my opinion, the mainstay of any good mechanics toolbox is a set of good quality socket wrenches. Sears Craftsman and Home Depot Husky brands have lifetime warranties. You can return them for no questions asked replacement if one rusts or breaks.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
I just checked them out and damn, they're cheap! They have a store about 10 miles away. Awesome, thanks.
You're welcome! I recently purchased a dremel tool kit. It's the easiest way to trim my dogs toe nails. She freaks out with nail clippers!!! LOL
So far, I haven't experienced any issues with the tools I purchased from Harbor Freight. Make sure to sign up on their email list, they have discount coupons they send out via email every couple of weeks!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i would say a torque wrench too

and to reiterate craftsman has life long warranties on their tools, so if you ever do some serious wrenching, its not a bad investment. ive broken a couple sockets without any power tools being used
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
You're welcome! I recently purchased a dremel tool kit. It's the easiest way to trim my dogs toe nails. She freaks out with nail clippers!!! LOL
So far, I haven't experienced any issues with the tools I purchased from Harbor Freight. Make sure to sign up on their email list, they have discount coupons they send out via email every couple of weeks!
Haha, but a little spinning piece of metal is ok for her?! Animals are crazy...

I'll have a look at the different places though (wasn't sure about the Sears one if they were good or not). Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

You get what you pay for.
For me the best price for decent quality tools is Sears Craftsman.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
Haha, but a little spinning piece of metal is ok for her?! Animals are crazy.
The dremel piece I use to trim her nails is like a circular piece of rough sand paper. My boxer mix is a skittish doofus!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You need good metric tools. The most common sizes are 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm. Larger bolts are 15mm and 18mm. You'll be able to remove most bolts and nuts with those. Spend a little money on a good set of tools; sure they're cost more, but they'll last and your wont break something. Particularly for the larger bolts and nuts, especially 18mm (typically used on suspension components), you'll need good tools for those.
As mentioned, sears often has decent sets of tools on sale.

A set of various screwdrivers and pliers are useful.

A good torque wrench is handy as well. I prefer the 'click' type for larger torque specs, and dial type for smaller torquing (i.e., avoid the 1/4" drive click-type torque wrench from harborfreight).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tools for the V6