Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 Mustang V6 - Low idle, rattling behind dash :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
tamilrmx

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
From what I have researched and experienced, the 4.0 V6 has an inherent harmonic vibration in the 600-700 rpm range and 1600-1700 rpm range. The stock V6 single exhaust and muffler had weights attached to them to dampen these vibration. Once you change exhaust systems, the vibration is very noticeably and is almost impossible to eliminate completely. My V6 runs great and very strong, but I cannot get rid of all the vibration myself. I live with it and remind myself its a piece of machinery that's not perfect. I have a great time running around in it!
yea i found a TSD sheet about this a few days ago, i printed it out and gonna take it to my mechanic and get it on hoist with it in gear and see if the exhaust is rattling, this only happens wen its fullly warmed, when cold its not rattling at all!

I dropped a new air filter and didnt help, same with gas treatment, will do the fuel filter next and hope it helps before i mess with the exhaust hangers
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 AM
tamilrmx

UPDATE:

Sorry for the late response, been busy with work, so yea nothing helped at all, however the mechanic shook my exhaust on the driver side and it was pretty loose in the back, and there was something broken in side the driver side muffler causing it to create a noise. I think this is my problem to the console rattle. Feels like something large in the muffler got rusted and broke. So i think this is creating back pressure and causing the on/off rattle. However i'm having trouble finding a pair of mufflers locally, so couldn't fix the issue to see if it 100% solves my issue I'm thinking about just going through car-part.com since there's nothing locally on kijiji/craiglist and ebay shipping prices are so steep.

Will update very soon!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Look for a pair of GT take-off mufflers; that's essentially what you have.
Also, since your is a '07, not sure it has the mid-exhasut hangers on the trans crossmember, but if you do, there was a TSB for those causing rattles; the solution was to put like a worm clamp around the hangers to firm them up and stabilize movement, reducing rattle.

But otherwise, use of the aftermarket air intake should also use a custom tune. That tune sets the idle. If you happen to have the tuning device, you may be even able to adjust the idle yourself.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM
tamilrmx

I dont have the air intake anymore, i put the factory one back in, and i've changed the mufflers to the GT now and it still rattles here and there from the console near the shifter, but if i go on a nice long 30-50km highway run and come to a exit, the idle is smooth as a butter without rattles, the idle usually stays steady either way, around 600-700rpm everytime

hmmm ill give the clamps a try on the hangers, do you happen to have a picture?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

have you checked your transmission mount?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 PM
tamilrmx

Originally Posted by JJHoover
have you checked your transmission mount?
Nope, i never checked them out, but occasionally around 80km/h if i let go of the gas pedal and press it back down, i do get a bang sort of feel, is it normal?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
tamilrmx

UPDATE:

got the rear differential fluid changed today and it doesnt bang at around 80km/h anymore, i put amsoil severe duty 75w, feels much smoother while accelerating

also got the newer GT mufflers put on, the rattle is still there partially, got a little better i guess, i dont think i can try the TSB by putting a clamp around them, anyways here's a picture of what my mount looks like, someone please help