MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/695675-taking-my-mustang-to-sebring-what-can-break.html)

flyhigh@mach1 05-22-2013 09:35 PM

Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?

Hello all....I'm off to Sebring raceway this weekend to learn some race driving techniques on the track with an instructor. My V6 is stock except for a duals, tune and CAI. Completely stock suspension. Runs great and is ready to go. What can I expect to possibly go wrong with the car, besides wrecking her? I heard top end is 108 mph, where the limiter takes over. I've got to drive home in her after. Any advise will help to calm my nerves and excitement!

BTW, my thermostat housing has been changed.

UPRSharad 05-23-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1 (Post 8218259)
Hello all....I'm off to Sebring raceway this weekend to learn some race driving techniques on the track with an instructor. My V6 is stock except for a duals, tune and CAI. Completely stock suspension. Runs great and is ready to go. What can I expect to possibly go wrong with the car, besides wrecking her? I heard top end is 108 mph, where the limiter takes over. I've got to drive home in her after. Any advise will help to calm my nerves and excitement!

BTW, my thermostat housing has been changed.

I wouldn't worry about the rev limiter. I was only hitting ~128 there in my 2006 GT on the stock tune (but with suspension & tire mods)

The biggest issue I predict for you is wearing out the brakes. That track is hard on brakes. If you haven't upgraded your brakes recently, you'll probably go through what you've got on the car now.

You'll have fun though. I love that place. Wish I could go this weekend. :icon_sad:

PNYXPRESS 05-23-2013 03:23 PM

Keep an eye out for the turbo'd black GT with the KR front and the silver notch w/ the 5.0L coyote swap

2005Redfire6 05-23-2013 03:30 PM

I'd say more then likely you will destroy your brakes like mentioned above and probably warp the rotors if you are on them too long. I went on a mountain run awhile ago with the stock V6 rotors and warped them, also had really bad heat fade of the brakes so keep that in mind.

DocSnickers 05-23-2013 03:51 PM

Good news if you do warp them or burn them out. Get some nice Brembo breaks with the air cooling vents.

jsimmonstx 05-23-2013 04:26 PM

Change your brake fluid to something like ATE Super Blue or Motul. You want fluid that can stand the heat.

Since you're changing your fluid and have to bleed the brakes anyway, change your brake lines to either Boss 302 or steel braided (Boss 302 is cheaper).

flyhigh@mach1 05-23-2013 04:39 PM

I will definitely keep the brakes in mind. I plan on changing them when I get back. I'm no wild animal like I was back in the day. Many times had the faded brakes on my '71 Charger and '78 Trans Am. No fun on the street when that happens! Young and Dumb!

flyhigh@mach1 05-26-2013 04:38 AM

Sebring was fantastic! Recommend a driving course to everyone who wants to really find out what these cars can do! The car handled great and took some serious punishment. Discovered a small fluid leak on rear brake caliper area from all the hard braking after. Got to upgrade now!

UPRSharad 05-27-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1 (Post 8220036)
Sebring was fantastic! Recommend a driving course to everyone who wants to really find out what these cars can do! The car handled great and took some serious punishment. Discovered a small fluid leak on rear brake caliper area from all the hard braking after. Got to upgrade now!

Note, it may very well be the axle bearing seal. It's a known issue on S197s.

2005Redfire6 05-29-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1 (Post 8220036)

Sounds like maybe the vent tube... or like what Sharad said...