Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

can you start a fuel injected car by putting gas through the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 AM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Default can you start a fuel injected car by putting gas through the intake?

my car turns over but won't start we're trying to figure out if putting gas through the throttle body would turn on the car like how they would do it with carbureted engine and if it would cause any problems.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:07 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Should be fine so long as you don't go crazy with it. It would be better if you could spray it, as you would with staring fluid. Just don't go dumping a bunch of fuel down the TB.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Should be fine so long as you don't go crazy with it. It would be better if you could spray it, as you would with staring fluid. Just don't go dumping a bunch of fuel down the TB.
okay will do thank you
Old 10-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Daltonkk

+1 on that starting fluid that will get it running at least for a second.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:49 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daltonkk
+1 on that starting fluid that will get it running at least for a second.
Agreed, I was able to diagnose a bad fuel pump on another fuel injected car we had. A squirt of starting fluid would get the car to run just for a few seconds or I could keep it running a bit longer by continuing to squirt starting fluid in there whenever the engine sounded like it was going to stall.

Funny story is that the pump died at the gas station when my wife filled up. She called telling me the car wouldn't start. Drove down there and asked the attendant if he had any starter fluid. He said he did but that he was not going to allow me to use it because in his words "starting fluid will make a 'puter car blow up!" Idiot. Forced me to go across the street to the auto parts store and buy a can.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 AM
waax

You really aren't suppose to use it on modern engines because it eats the seals.. Also you aren't really suppose to use it on plastic intake manifolds because a good backfire can blow them into pieces. I don't like using starting fluid unless it's to diagnose carburetor issues.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by waax
You really aren't suppose to use it on modern engines because it eats the seals.. Also you aren't really suppose to use it on plastic intake manifolds because a good backfire can blow them into pieces. I don't like using starting fluid unless it's to diagnose carburetor issues.
Can't imagine how it would hurt the seals unless one sprayed so much that it pooled somewhere. I just "misted" it in through the TB. If the car backfired, wouldn't that be indicative of a different problem? Anyway, in my case, I was able to quickly and easily diagnose a bad fuel pump. Banging on the fuel tank got it working long enough to get the car home where I could perform the replacement.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:19 PM
waax

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Can't imagine how it would hurt the seals unless one sprayed so much that it pooled somewhere. I just "misted" it in through the TB. If the car backfired, wouldn't that be indicative of a different problem? Anyway, in my case, I was able to quickly and easily diagnose a bad fuel pump. Banging on the fuel tank got it working long enough to get the car home where I could perform the replacement.
Most cars (not all) have schrader valves on the fuel rails (bike tire nozzle), that you can depress with a screwdriver to check for fuel pressure. It's good practice to not use starting fluid on anything from the 90's+. The rubber gaskets like what are found on the tb's are what get eaten up by ether, though you can find "sensor safe" starting fluid which is more compatible with modern tech.