Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tranny issue. I've looked everywhere....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Kinggparmer

Default Tranny issue. I've looked everywhere....

I've searched and searched but haven't found this particular problem.

Ok so my son's car is a 2010 mustang v6 automatic.

He left home and got down the road, calls me and says car won't move. So I tow it home. It won't engage into ANY gear. It won't move in any gear and not even 'catching' or engaging in any gear. Don't feel the little 'bump' when shifting to the gears. It's nothing. Like there's nothing even there. I don't know what it could be. I've looked up all the symptoms and nothing explains this one. I do know that most of these newer cars have programmable modules so I don't know if that's it. I just want a good nudge in the right direction before I just start replacing Everything. So, insights? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Kinggparmer

No codes either. Just wanted to add that tid bit.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:18 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Sounds like yer shift cable end came loose from the transmission, or the DTC control broke at the tranny. Check under the car first. Block those wheels and pull the E-brake first.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Kinggparmer

Originally Posted by don-ohio
Sounds like yer shift cable end came loose from the transmission, or the DTC control broke at the tranny. Check under the car first. Block those wheels and pull the E-brake first.
I haven't considered that! I'll check it first thing in the am. Thanks !
Old 11-05-2019, 10:01 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kinggparmer
I haven't considered that! I'll check it first thing in the am. Thanks !
If the shift cable broke, or fell off at the Transmission Range Switch Sensor (TRSS, fastened to the side of the transmission case with 2 screws), the transmission will remain in whatever gear/selector lever position it was in last. If those things check out, and you can feel the normal "clicking" of the shifter as you move it through it's positions, the trouble lies elsewhere. Very outside possibility, broken/failed TRSS.

Check that there is FLUID in the transmission! If full, a pressure check is in order, done with a pressure gauge at the left side of the case, accessed through a threaded hole. If NO PRESSURE exists at idle, the oil pump drive has likely failed, broken, necessitating removal of the transmission and rebuilding.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Broken input shaft on the transmission will also lend itself to the same symptoms. Ask me how I know that one The input shaft is what connects the transmission to the engine. If that is broken or stripped, it will require dropping the transmission.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Kinggparmer

Just an update. Nothing is wrong with the linkage, shifter or shifter rod. Although when I first crank it up, it whines for 5-10 secs then stops. That's usually a fluid issue but I filled it up with fresh fluid. I haven't seen any signs of mechanical issue like the input shaft , of course I havent taken it apart but I dont hear any banging or clanging or grinding.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:21 AM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Don't reckon the filter fell off or broke inside the pan? You KNOW you have to have the vehicle level,warmed up a little,running and on a lift so you can pull the fluid level check plug and check the level? It's a pain.