Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

anti freeze under intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM
mustangcr8z

Default anti freeze under intake

Got an 05 xcharged 4.0, got antifreeze under intake in valley, looks like it might be coming from thermastat housing around gasket! Has anyone heard of problems in this area, I know my wifes focus had flaws in her thermo housing and it cracked and had to be replaced, has anyone heard of any bulletins on thermastat housing or gasket or any other leaking problem in this area, thnx in advance! No intercooler.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

I have a 06 4.0 it's not xcharged ,but at 80k the thermostat housing just split at the seems. Check ebay for the aluminum casting just came out last month.
Attached Thumbnails anti freeze under intake-pic-from-didg-camra.jpg   anti freeze under intake-thermosat.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
JimC

Very common problem - the split is usually at the back of the housing and sprays into the valley.

With the Xcharger though it is a little more complicated, at least with the Xtreme and I think that the non-intercooled model has the same issue. One bolt is covered by the blower and so you have to remove the Xcharger to get to that bolt.

Name:  DSC03321-1.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  61.3 KB

Even if you could find a way to loosen that bolt, with the length of it you can't get it out from under the blower lower intake, and if you could you can't get the housing out because there isn't enough room to pull it up straight as required.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yep. Things like intakes and related, shouldn't be made out of plastic.
Same goes for refrigerator door handles, lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Chronic issue with the 4.0. Welcome to the world of the S197.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Yep, I had the dreaded thermostat housing leak and fixed it a couple of months ago.
The plastic thermostat housing expands when hot and distorts, hence causing it to leak.
As stoneblue mentioned above, check out eBay for an aluminum thermostat housing, which was recently released to the public.
Good luck!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-07-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 PM
2005Stang

I replaced mine at 110,000 miles. Couldn't find the aluminum one 3 yrs ago. Might pick one up for a spare.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM
ashraf-alsawadeh

I replaced mine a month agon , paid 70 dollars comes with thermostat , still leaking from the upper cover around the o ring sealer , soon going with the aluminum one , bad engineering ford
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ashraf-alsawadeh
I replaced mine a month agon , paid 70 dollars comes with thermostat , still leaking from the upper cover around the o ring sealer , soon going with the aluminum one , bad engineering ford
Wow, only 1 month and the new thermostat housing is leaking?? Sounds defective.
I replaced out my thermostat housing 6 months ago and it is bone dry, however I am having issues with coolant leaking in the "V" valley of the engine. It looks as though the coolant is coming up around the freeze plugs, which are located in the valley of the engine. Going to run a warm pressure test this Sunday to figure out of the freeze plugs are the issue. Wish me luck!!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
08mustang

I installed the aluminum thermostat housing and do not have to worry about it splitting anymore. The aluminum lower housing is a one piece casting and not two plastic pieces glued together. You are right about bad engineering on fords part. The only reason they installed a plastic unit was to save money for them, not for there customer. I was afraid to take long trips with my car due to the thermostat housing problem. Now I will drive it any distance without hesitation.

Quick Reply: anti freeze under intake