Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Popping Noise when I step on the Brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Greg950

Default Popping Noise when I step on the Brake

I have an 06 Mustang, when I back up five or ten feet and step on the brake I hear a popping noise coming from the right front wheel area. I can also feel it in the body of the car. If I pull forward then step on the brake there is no popping noise. Then if I back up again and step on the brake it makes a popping noise again.

I thought it could be a loose caliber, but all the bolts are real tight and brake pads are good. Any ideas what else I can check?

Thanks

Greg
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

I get the same noise and haven't been able to figure it out yet.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM
MustangMikey04

Same here bud, I've been chasing this for a while and thought about buying new calipers several times but my wallet has been pretty thin lately...I've seen OE style calipers go for 60-70 bucks each and get pretty tempted...If I bite the bullet and go for the replacements I'll let you guys know the outcome.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Greg950

I was never able to determine where the noise is coming from. My Neighbor told me to check the sway bar link which is just behind each of the front Brake Discs and are about foot long going vertical.

The Driver side is nice and tight and I cannot move it, the passenger side where the noise is coming from can be wiggled side to side a little. I wonder if the ends on the sway bar are bad, it looks like they have a small ball joint in them. This may be the problem, but I just have not had time to replace it.

Greg

Last edited by Greg950; 12-27-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Just did a search on this same noise coming from my front passenger brake and saw this thread. I never had it until I replaced my front calipers and rotors with upgraded GT brakes. Everything is tight (Brake components and Sway bar link) so I'm at a loss too. It only seems to do it when I change directions...backing up or drive forward from backing up. Then quiet until change of direction again. So odd? And new thoughts out there?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

After reading other posts, I'm starting to think it is the brake pads slightly shifting forward and back. I have after market brake pads made in England.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I would point towards those sway bar end-links, especially if you have loosened them/removed them ever. I am pretty sure the bolts are Ford's "One time use bolts" I know after removing mine 2 times during suspension setups and putting them back on even as tight as they will go and with loctite they started popping. Or, it could be a strut mount being they are pretty junky too.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 AM
06Driver

Anyone solve this brake popping noise? Mine is doing it the first time I brake after having backed up and go forward. Had brakes checked and suspension but nothing found. One shop mentioned it might be the tie rods that have loosened as he was able to tighten one and it seemed to help but it is back again. Tie rod seems my best shot right now but hate chasing these ghost problems by fixing the wrong things. Anyone get their problem fixed yet? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Driver
Anyone solve this brake popping noise? Mine is doing it the first time I brake after having backed up and go forward. Had brakes checked and suspension but nothing found. One shop mentioned it might be the tie rods that have loosened as he was able to tighten one and it seemed to help but it is back again. Tie rod seems my best shot right now but hate chasing these ghost problems by fixing the wrong things. Anyone get their problem fixed yet? Thanks.
Did you check on the sway bar end-links like mentioned in this thread? I solved my popping issue by removing the front sway bar altogether, but that wasn't the only reason why it was removed...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I think the sway bar ends are my possible offenders. Had a friend walk next to my front tires and when the pop occurred, he said it was not coming from the brakes, but somewhere under the engine, even though I feel it in the brake pedal. He walked on both sides....so either new end bar bolts for me or maybe after market pieces. I'll have to update when I do the work.

Quick Reply: Popping Noise when I step on the Brake