Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Heater fixed! Antifreeze leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Default Heater fixed! Antifreeze leaking...

Sooooo, after getting into the car and the "heat" blew as hot as the ac I had one of my friends look at it and they said it could be a low antifreeze level. Checked it and of course it was close to empty. Filled er up and boom it fixed the heater. Oh I was so happy. Then the next day when I get to school I had noticed a substantial amount of smoke coming from under the hood. Popped it open and the cap on the antifreeze tank was gone and the fluid was all over the place. I could have sworn the cap was on but it obviously wasn't. So thus there was fluid all over the engine bay. Then I went to the nearest parts store and got a new cap and fluid filled it up and away I went. Got home and cleaned everything up with a rag and some water and thought the problem was solved. Then the next day while I was changing the oil I kept getting hit with drops of antifreeze. Then upon further investigation I noticed it was all over the place, in the engine and under the car. I then asked someone at class, auto tech class, what he thought and he said it could be the water pump. Right now I'm going through a jug of fluid every other day. This started yesterday and I feel like this is a problem that needs to be fixed soon. After watching ~$20 literally go up in smoke I have to get it fixed soon. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 PM
JimC

Not the water pump. It is more likely the plastic thermostat housing. Look at that, it usually splits on the back side and blows under intake manifold into the valley.

Easy repair, just look for a write up on here, I think it is in a sticky. There is an aluminum replacement available now too.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Not the water pump. It is more likely the plastic thermostat housing. Look at that, it usually splits on the back side and blows under intake manifold into the valley.

Easy repair, just look for a write up on here, I think it is in a sticky. There is an aluminum replacement available now too.
Kinda what I was thinking. Knew it was a common problem. I'm assuming it needs to be taken off to be inspected? And thanks for the quick reply!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 PM
JimC

You can probably see it just checking it - and it is often mistaken for a water pump problem because the fluid will seep that way. Look toward the back of the housing and under the intake manifold. Your description fits the housing issue.

Replacement is pretty easy (unless you have the Xcharger Xtreme like I had, because one bolt is trapped under that system). Basically disconnect the coolant lines, unplug the sensor, take out 3 bolts and lift straight up. Three bolts to remove the top housing, and transfer it over.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You can probably see it just checking it - and it is often mistaken for a water pump problem because the fluid will seep that way. Look toward the back of the housing and under the intake manifold. Your description fits the housing issue.

Replacement is pretty easy (unless you have the Xcharger Xtreme like I had, because one bolt is trapped under that system). Basically disconnect the coolant lines, unplug the sensor, take out 3 bolts and lift straight up. Three bolts to remove the top housing, and transfer it over.
Ok one last question, I looked and couldn't pinpoint what was needed. Do I need to spend the $170 for the aluminum housing and do I need both the upper and lower housing. I've seen that aluminum is the way to go but I want to make sure that's what I need before I drop the money on that...
Old 11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

have you verified that it is the thermostat housing? it could also be a bad hose as well.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
have you verified that it is the thermostat housing? it could also be a bad hose as well.
Yeah I got a better look at it today and all around the base of the housing there is antifreeze and it looks like the source of the leak. The hoses I could see looked fine to me. Also does anyone know if I need both upper and lower housing parts or one or the other. I cant see the lower housing so I cant tell if there is any damage there. Just wondering.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM
JimC

The lower is where it splits

Name:  DSC03324.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  64.5 KB

The top part of the housing usually can be reused, just make sure you are careful removing things - don't lose the clip to the sensor or the gasket.

Name:  DSC03325.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by JimC; 11-16-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Unless you're really strapped for cash, you're not saving that much by doing only one. A set can be had off of eBay (and elsewhere) for $40-60 with new O rings. You'll already have it apart and the extra money is worth the peace of mind, in my opinion.