Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Wheel Swap Odometer MADNESS....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Default Wheel Swap Odometer MADNESS....

OK gang... I did try some searches... and a bit rough trying to sort through all the results. We have quite the archive here to be sure...

So, I "upgraded" my 4.0 from stock wheels / tires to takeoffs from a GT.

Simple enough? Maybe not so much.... From what I can gather via crunching the numbers myself... and checking them out on various website "size calculators" there's not really a significant difference (at least "by the numbers") between the two.

So... why izzit that it seems my odometer has gone nuts?

I have an Xcal... I wonder if I could tweak the odo using that?

Any insights would be muchly appreciated.

I will verify this AM... I have to drive a very well known, fixed distance (to work) in a little bit. It's usually bang on 12.1 miles... so, we shall see.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Don't quote me on this, but I thought even though the wheels sizes may be different between different sub models and packages, they still had the same overall tire diameter, and therefore shouldn't affect the speedo calibration. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Did you try using a GPS that displays your speed to compare it to your speedometer?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

It's more on the odo that I'm noticing it... unfortunately due to a major traffic mess this AM I had to take an alternate route.

Yes... you would think the tire sizes... ie. the circumference would be the same... and by the numbers, the new units are all of .2" longer per revolution....

But I'm seeing a bit larger of a difference.

I'll see in the AM... unless of course, traffic is a mess again.

12.1 miles driveway to driveway my commute is usually.

I have no GPS so that's not an option.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

One easy way to check is to use freeway mile markers, they are supposed to be dead nuts on ( in all States except FL). If you are driving 60mph it should take exactly 60 seconds to drive one mile.
btw, nice bike
Old 05-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

LOL... well, being in Florida... and southwest at that, it's a LONG ride to another state to find accurate milesticks to be sure.

Here's a novel thought... I still have the old wheels / tires for the car. I could simply measure the two and see the difference.

Will know better this AM as I hope to take my regular 12.1 mile drive in to work.

Thanks on the bike. '01 Vulcan Drifter 800. And THAT (as well as all other Kawis of that vintage) reads notoriously slow on the speedometer.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

OK... so with the old tires / wheels, the commute to work was 12.1 miles. With the NEW tires and wheels the odo reads 11.7 miles. Or 97% of the original numbers... now, checking the distance with both Google and Mapquest... the distance they both report is 11.9 miles.

So.... fark it... It's close enough!!!!!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

And yes... I know... I gotta update that SIG image.... stay tuned.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What is the difference, if any, in revolutions per mile for both tires? Those numbers are straight off the manufacturer's spec sheets. That's what I use with my SCT3 to adjust my speedometer.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

THAT is what I was looking for... and how does one use the SCT3 to do such a thing? Seeing as I have one... I've not really delved into it. Is it under options?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wheel Swap Odometer MADNESS....