Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Shifting clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM
mdillonaire

Default Shifting clunk

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and also a new mustang owner. I just bought an 08 4.0L manual trans. Im having some shifting issues. This isnt my first manual so I know its not my shifting thats causing the issue. Whats happening is when i upshift from first into second, i hear a slight grind and loud clunk. I have played around with it, making sure the clutch is in the floor fully depressed, holding there even for a few seconds before shifting. Now this only seems to happen when i try to shift with any haste. I can avoid the problem if i shift very slowly, but even then it feels as if the shifter hits a gate then has to wait a second before the syncros line up and itll fall into second. It does this also from 3rd to 4th but not as bad. It does it the same whether it is cold or hot, it makes no difference. Im not sure exactly what it may be, whether its the slave cylinder, the clutch needs to be bled, changing the trans fluid, or if the synchos are totally screwed. has anyone else had an issue like this? any input would be appreciated. I read about the 3650 trans having similar problems but i know that this is a T5 so im at a loss. I appreciate any help
Old 11-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

How many miles do you have on it and has the fluid ever been changed? I know there are those that think the T5 is an inferior transmission, but I disagree. The T5 is well suited for the V6. If you, or the previous owner(s), tried to drive it like a V8, then that may be a problem. I'd start with a fluid change before looking into the clutch. It's relatively easy and inexpensive.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Could the clunk be the poor driveshaft that Ford put on it...
Old 11-28-2015, 05:21 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Checkout these posts.....maybe one pertains to your situation;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/sear...archid=7081430