Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

4.0 liter engine quit,s

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Terryw

Thanks fo the input guys. This car came form a city with 70,000 on the clock average speed was arround 27 mph. I,m a heavy truck mechanic & average speed even on a semi is arround 45-50 mph counting low speed & idle time. Actual hour,s of run time on the fuel pump are probably double what the odometer is showing so it,s probably time to give her a fuel pump. Just cleaned the m.a.f. Sensor one guy mentioned that thought I,d try it we got a few weeks left before it gets stored for the winter. Cross my fingers. Lots of g.m. Fuel pumps die in the 160'000 mile area so this one may be on the brink. Thanks again folks,
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

mine has been doing it for years now and I have 260k miles on it
Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Question How often does this occur?

Originally Posted by JJHoover
mine has been doing it for years now and I have 260k miles on it
How often does this occur?

This morning, as I slowed down and pulled into our office building entrance my engine shut off. The radio and defrost were still going. I was able to start it right back up. The scary part was losing power steering and power brakes. Thankfully, I was driving slow when I pulled into the entrance of office park, otherwise I may have crashed into the curb.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:30 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
How often does this occur?

This morning, as I slowed down and pulled into our office building entrance my engine shut off. The radio and defrost were still going. I was able to start it right back up. The scary part was losing power steering and power brakes. Thankfully, I was driving slow when I pulled into the entrance of office park, otherwise I may have crashed into the curb.
not really sure, once every couple of months I guess
Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

Temperature drop seems to bring this on more.

My theory on this problem is, there is some quirk in the IAC or dashpot logic of the DBW system, that every once and a while closes the throttle too much when returning the engine to idle coming to a stop, and causes the engine to stall. Just my theory. The S197 doesn't have the most refined drive by wire system and implementation. I'd rather these cars have a cable throttle.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Terryw

Default Engine quits

This problem has been happening for almost 2years at random. It recently got more frequent & started to set codes for throttle actuator control system forced idle & stuck open. Also code p2135 sensor-switch a-b voltage corelation. I quizzed an old shop foreman at the local ford dealer he said sounds like a throttle body issue. I was skeptical this car was running on 3or 4 cylinders at random also. The issue usually happened after running for at least 1/2 hour but was not consistent. Now it was happening every hour consistently. The gears in the throttle body are in good shape. I installed a new throttle body actuator motor today reset the pcm per makuloco ? I think on you tube. I ran it 3 hours today no issues no codes. 110$ for the motor from the local Napa store I,m pretty sure I got it fixed. If you have a ghost problem similar to this you might want to try a new actuator motor it,s easy to install
Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Another vote for mass airflow sensor.

Mine would run great and every once in great while it would stall at stop light and start right back up.

Hasn't done it since replacing it. Been several years now.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 AM
06LegendLimev6

Default My 06 Auto does the Same Thing!

About 3 months ago I was driving when my car quit on me. Same symptoms. I went to push the accelerator and no response from the engine. For some reason I shifted into nuetral and the engine died. I was stranded on a curvy mountain road, which was scary. Checked the fuel pump, MAFS, TPS, Crankshaft Position Sensor, and even the fuel pressure. None of the systems were at fault. When I first came to a stop my dash showed both the check engine light and the wrench light. If only I had my code scanner with me I could have found out what it was. I got it running again and drive home. Scanned the computer and found no codes. I’m sure Ford would have a scanner that could find some stored codes but I didn’t see the reason to visit a dealership as my car was
running like a top.

My theory is this. Most newer cars have fail safe systems that are meant to keep both the driver and engine safe. I think a glitch in the PCM/ECU caused the car to go into a fail safe (hence the wrench light) and also threw a check engine light for whatever system was at “fault”.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:03 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Mine has had dips in RPMs coming to a stop, and it seems to be something with
the transmission. Maybe a delayed intermediate band release... It hasn't
stalled yet, but I noticed the RPM dip at the downshift from 2nd to 1st. Was
almost enough to stall it. Doesn't do it all the time either, and hasn't for a few
weeks.