Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone know well about auto-transmission valve body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

If you are sure you won't pull the transmission yourself, then I'd have the professional shop do the overhaul. That way the work is covered by their warranty.

Used part can have problems with servobores and solenoid packs, and the shop probably won't take responsibility if you have them i stall used parts.

I was going to rebuild mine by myself if needed. It's looks difficult to pull the trans, but I thought I would just pull out the engine and trans together, then separate the two.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Before you do anything else though, really check the fluid level at the correct temperature with engine running.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 AM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

^^^ THIS! don-ohio
Old 06-11-2017, 02:58 AM
temtoy

It's been a long days.
Last month, finally, I decided to repair my transmission from professional shop. When they see my mustang, it seems mechanical problem and need to overhaul. Anyway, now, my stang is moving.

Shop saying, when repair, reverse clutch plate was gone, and two ***** was missing in valve body. In my think, guess, missing ball was reason of reverse problem. No ball make less pressure of ATF, and then clutch was not meet perfectly.
They're doing overhaul the torque converter, change solenoid valve, and repair valve body. After repair, I'm satisfied everything except ATF.

They use 'Total Quartz Fluidmatic MV LV' ATF... LV. Means Low viscosity.
It's matched modern auto-transmission. Not our old '5R55S'. 5R55S matched Ford Mercon V spec ATF. Mercon V like to high viscosity characteristic.
I think a this must be potential problem. I don't know mention before, about 2 years ago, my friend(car mechanic) use Mobil ATF-660 to my stang. And... this things was happened. I know this problem happened by many reason, not just ATF. But, think, not matched ATF must be a big reason. I'm request change ATF, and they trying to find matched ATF. Still waiting. I hope, just end well.

It's hard to find ford parts in this country, even ATF. Hyundai(& Kia) build there empire here.