Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 - Transmission Shifter Brake Interlock Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM
belfastdrennan

Default V6 - Transmission Shifter Brake Interlock Solenoid

2005 V6 Mustang Automatic.
Starts on the key, but it will not come out of Park.
All my 'idiot' warning lights in the main clocks remain lit and do not go off when started and running:
- Engine Management Warning light
- Brake System Warning Light
- Traction Control Warning Light
- Fuel Low light is lit, and the fuel gauge is reading empty, but it has a half tank of gas in it.
So I discover how to depress the Transmission Brake Interlock 'bypass' lever under the small plastic insert cover to the right of the main Auto Gearshift.
It moves out of Park, selects gears and will drive, but then I notice no trafficators, no head or side lights, no interior lights, and the electric windows aren't working. (But the window depress system which drops and raises them a half-inch in conjunction with opening and closing the doors is working!)

I decide to dismantle the shifter mechanism in the centre console to see whats going on. I notice only 2 wires to the Transmission Shifter Brake Interlock Solenoid, so I'm assuming its on/off or in/out, but when I put 12 volts to the two solenoid wires nothing happens, so it seems like the little solenoid is not working! But what is causing all the other symptoms? If the solenoid was working would the small voltage drop when it pushed the interlock out, be read by the computer and put all the warning lights out etc, and fix some of the other problems? I'm totally at a loss. Anybody know what's going on here?
Also, can I get a replacement solenoid, instead of a whole automatic shifter assembly?
Drennan,
Belfast, N.Ireland