Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Why is mustang steaming...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Andrew Inderhees

Default Why is mustang steaming...

as of last night I was being stupid and drifting my mustang in the rain... after about 5 minutes I saw that my mustang started to steam so I stopped just like anybody else would and as I came to a complete stop I heard a loud squeal which raised another flag for me, so I put it in park then put it in drive again and the noise again. I then started to see more smoke out the front of the car (keep in mind it's pretty dark out so it's somewhat hard to see) I popped the hood and saw what seems to be coolant spraying. I drove home quickly and the next day I felt it was my thermostat that was maybe the problem so I had replaced that entire part (the housing, thermostat, etc) and I am still getting the problem of the car steaming/smoking... hope this was descriptive enough for anybody to help me out.

I drive a 2006 mustang V6
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Andrew Inderhees

Originally Posted by Andrew Inderhees
as of last night I was being stupid and drifting my mustang in the rain... after about 5 minutes I saw that my mustang started to steam so I stopped just like anybody else would and as I came to a complete stop I heard a loud squeal which raised another flag for me, so I put it in park then put it in drive again and the noise again. I then started to see more smoke out the front of the car (keep in mind it's pretty dark out so it's somewhat hard to see) I popped the hood and saw what seems to be coolant spraying. I drove home quickly and the next day I felt it was my thermostat that was maybe the problem so I had replaced that entire part (the housing, thermostat, etc) and I am still getting the problem of the car steaming/smoking... hope this was descriptive enough for anybody to help me out.

I drive a 2006 mustang V6
edit: things that may contribute: the intercooler has been hit in the bottom left corner, but I don't see how this could cause a problem now and not anytime before this...
Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Make sure all the pulleys are turning, make sure you do not have a leak spraying on the belt. but the problem you described with the loud squeal makes me think it is belt related.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

So what was the problem,Andrew? Post back and let us know. I vote water pump let loose or hose spraying the alternator belt. don-ohio (:^)