Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Driveshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I had the aluminum 4" driveshaft from Shaftmasters on my 2006. Great product and great people to deal with. $458 for their product.

http://shaftmasters.com/4mualdr.html

Although I have never heard of upgrading to the 8.8" rear end and tlok causing problems. It doesn't put any extra strain on the rear end at all. I can't see that it is causing any issues like you describe, it doesn't make sense to me.
This should bolt right in even with the 8.8" rear end right? There isn't anything additional needed.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 PM
JimC

Essentially a direct bolt in swapping the rear end. However depending upon the year and options on the car it is coming from you may need to replace the pinion flange with the cobra flange.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-p...0304cobra.html

The V6 driveshaft won't match up to the 2005-10 GT rear end. For a 2011-14 rear end (all Mustangs have the 8.8" in those model years) you have to check the flange. Depending upon the options on the car it comes from it may already have the correct flange.

If you are asking if the Shaftmasters is a direct bolt in, same thing with regards to the pinion flange; unless you call Shaftmasters and order it to be set up for the flange on the rear end that you buy. They will build it to your specs that way so no pinion flange swap, but you have to confirm which flange you have first.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC

If you are asking if the Shaftmasters is a direct bolt in, same thing with regards to the pinion flange; unless you call Shaftmasters and order it to be set up for the flange on the rear end that you buy. They will build it to your specs that way so no pinion flange swap, but you have to confirm which flange you have first.
I put in a gt rear end with flange a few years ago. So getting the driveshaft you linked above would be a direct fit as I've been using the v6 driveshaft this whole time. Does that sound right to you? I can't get under my car right now to check the flanges but that sounds like it would just bolt right in to me.

Thanks for the advice
Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM
JimC

Since you already have a GT rear end with flange swap and are using your stock driveshaft, then yes the Shaftmasters will be a simple swap.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:21 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

In my 60 years of messing with driveline problems, I have never heard of "staked" U-joints. Add that fact to my years of service as an Engineer with Dana Corp. (ever hear of them?), I know and understand Spicer U-joints inside-out. imp