Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine almost stalls - Dealer said tune or new computer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:49 PM
JakeRock23

Default Engine almost stalls - Dealer said tune or new computer?

Hi fellas,

My manual 2006 Ford Mustang v6 with 54k miles has recently been near-stalling after driving for a few miles; if I'm coasting in neutral and come to a complete stop, the RPMs will shoot below .5 on the guage and it'll feel like it's going to stall but never does. I have taken it to 2 places, one of them being a Ford dealership, and neither of them could "read the codes", presumably because the previous owner had tuned it, and I do not have a tuner. The Ford dealership recommended either tracking down the original owner/tuner or replacing the computer (which would be $1300 :O )

Has anyone experienced this/could point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much for your help
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 PM
JimC

A Ford dealer should be able to reflash the computer to the "as built" data. Cheaper than replacing the PCU.

Also, cheaper to buy a tuner and tunes from one of the vendors. You don't have to have a stock tune on the car to update with a custom tune.

What modifications are done to the car that lead them to believe that the car has been tuned? How long have you had the car?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by JakeRock23
I have taken it to 2 places, one of them being a Ford dealership, and neither of them could "read the codes",

presumably because the previous owner had tuned it, and I do not have a tuner. The Ford dealership recommended either tracking down the original owner/tuner or replacing the computer (which would be $1300 :O )

Has anyone experienced this/could point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much for your help
And I would go to a different dealer. If they can't read the codes with the Ford tools, even with a custom tune, then they don't have a clue about what they are doing. The Ford tool will do a deep dive into the computer and bring up the data; the tool doesn't care what the tune is that is on the car. My dealer was able to pull up the codes to diagnose a problem with a custom tune and turbo on my car.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 PM
JakeRock23

Thank you for your reply! I've had the car since May 2012, purchased with 19k miles, it came with the ford racing power package (dual exhaust, cold air, etc.) and I'm assuming it was tuned because the package also comes with a tuner.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM
JimC

Yes, that would require a tune to run properly. Has it run properly up until recently?

Like I said, go to a different dealer because they can pull the code even with the custom tune using the Ford scan tool.

Before replacing the PCU though, just buy a tuner and tunes for your modifications. Much cheaper than replacing the PCU. But given what that dealer said, it sounds like they are just going to start throwing parts at it without taking the time to diagnose. And even if they put a new PCU in you will still need the custom tune for the modification.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
JakeRock23

Okay these are all excellent suggestions, thank you very much! The car has run properly until recently, which is why this is so strange. Some dealers charge a fee just to have the car checked out, is there anything specific I could ask them over the phone that would indicate they have the proper equipment to diagnose the issue, or would I simply have to take it in? Once again, thank you for the help!
Old 04-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Is this your problem?

TSB - HESITATION ON ACCELERATION AFTER LONG CRUISE

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb06-09-09.pdf
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

JakeRock23 not sure where you are in Virginia as I live here too. If you are in the Tidewater or Hampton-Roads area, I would suggest taking it to Beach Ford in Virginia Beach. I drive 25 miles passing 3 Ford dealers just to go to them.

There is also JTL Performance Shop in Chesapeake

133 Tilden Ave Ste C, Chesapeake, VA 23320

(757) 335-1940
Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Blindtolive

My car does this also and only sometimes does it actually give me a check engine lights I pulled the code and it said idle position sensor. Drives fine but when I come to a stop it almost dies.