Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

In need of A/C Experts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
Thanks for all the info! I vacuumed for about half an hour, but I never let the pressure sit and check for leaks because I was replacing a bunch of parts (never warmed up the car either, great tip!!).. Probably should have put the vacuum back on afterwards.

Is the only way to remove oil to remove the drain plug? I assumed the vacuum would pull out the oil too.

Do you know any info on the fan/AC combo? Does High or Low fan run with the AC? The fans keep the engine cool (not sure what temp they come on), but they do not come on with AC at all except as mentioned before.
If the system has been run, The oil will not longer be just in the compressor, Some has migrated to the condenser and even to the Receiver drier in the form of vapor that condenses back into fluid. I wouldn't mess with the oil level at this point.

A vacuum will only pull out oil vapors, not the actual liquid because both ports are at points higher than where the oils sits (compressor, and bottom of condenser) so it would never pull out enough to warrant adding any back in.

Low fan setting turns on first and adjusts as needed based on load demand. Do you have a tune on the car? Depending on the tuner you can access the Hi/low fan settings based on temperature and force the low side to turn on at a ridiculous temp just to test if the low fan setting is even working.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on the fan setup to advise on how else to go about testing the low side fan. The other thought is that the low pressure switch on the receiver drier isn't working correctly. When your high side spikes, does the low side remain the same or does it go up as well? If the low side also goes up it could be the switch on the receiver drier isn't working correctly.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If the system has been run, The oil will not longer be just in the compressor, Some has migrated to the condenser and even to the Receiver drier in the form of vapor that condenses back into fluid. I wouldn't mess with the oil level at this point.

A vacuum will only pull out oil vapors, not the actual liquid because both ports are at points higher than where the oils sits (compressor, and bottom of condenser) so it would never pull out enough to warrant adding any back in.

Low fan setting turns on first and adjusts as needed based on load demand. Do you have a tune on the car? Depending on the tuner you can access the Hi/low fan settings based on temperature and force the low side to turn on at a ridiculous temp just to test if the low fan setting is even working.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on the fan setup to advise on how else to go about testing the low side fan. The other thought is that the low pressure switch on the receiver drier isn't working correctly. When your high side spikes, does the low side remain the same or does it go up as well? If the low side also goes up it could be the switch on the receiver drier isn't working correctly.
As far as I know there's no tune in the car, I seriously doubt it because when I bought the car it was bone stock. When the high side spiked the low side stayed "within range." What I did yesterday was run power straight from the battery to the fans harness, I determined that only the high side was functioning.. Which must mean there's a problem somewhere in between the harness and the fan.

I doubt fixing this problem would fix my AC/Fan combo, but maybe its worth a shot. I've been thinking maybe it would be easier to run some sort of a switch, it would be really nice if I could tie it into the AC if that's what it comes down to
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

So Im thinking I have other issues with my AC. Not sure if its a switch, or maybe a clog somewhere in the lines. If my fan isn't running constantly (which U have set up manually), the high side always spikes up to 325psi before the PCM tells the fans to start running and then the pressure drops down.. Any ideas?

I noticed the liquid lines running to the compressor are REALLY hot, is this normal? Lines to drier/evaporator sweat profusely..

Only things I haven't replaced are the evaporator, and the lines. Maybe orifice tube was installed incorrectly?#