Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Default no spark?

so I was working on my 05 4.0 mustang when I accidentally hit the wires that connect to the starter. now my car won't start. it cranks over but there's no spark going to the engine. I checked all the fuses and none of them were burnt up. I changed the coil pack and it didn't work. any idea what it could be?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.o stang
so I was working on my 05 4.0 mustang when I accidentally hit the wires that connect to the starter. now my car won't start. it cranks over but there's no spark going to the engine. I checked all the fuses and none of them were burnt up. I changed the coil pack and it didn't work. any idea what it could be?

You may have created a voltage "spike" which damaged the computer. Check to see if the fuel pump is turning on when key turned ON. It may not be, if the PCM was "fried". imp
Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How did you test for spark?

Are you getting any power to the coil pack? If not, it can be either a fried PCM or bad Crank/cam sensor.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:25 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
You may have created a voltage "spike" which damaged the computer. Check to see if the fuel pump is turning on when key turned ON. It may not be, if the PCM was "fried". imp
you can hear the pump come on when you turn the key, yes.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
How did you test for spark?

Are you getting any power to the coil pack? If not, it can be either a fried PCM or bad Crank/cam sensor.
we used a probe, connected it to ground then into one of the plugs. we also did the same to the coil pack and the connection to the coil pack.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ok, if you're not getting anything out of the coil, what about to the coil? If you're getting power to the coil but nothing out, it could be the Crank or Cam sensor is bad. No signal from the crank/cam sensor could result in no spark.

If you're not getting any power to the Coil pack then it's probably a bad ECU/PCM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

Ok, if you're not getting anything out of the coil, what about to the coil? If you're getting power to the coil but nothing out, it could be the Crank or Cam sensor is bad. No signal from the crank/cam sensor could result in no spark.

If you're not getting any power to the Coil pack then it's probably a bad ECU/PCM.
I believe it was getting power. I had someone come out and look at it yesterday and said that with the scanner he had he couldn't get too deep into the computer but he believes it might be the anti-theft system was actived not allowing the car to turn on. he said it could also be the computer but he believes it's the least likely due to the spark being too minor to have done any damage to the ECU.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If it's an anti-theft thing your PCM might need to be reflashed. Is the car tuned? You could try putting back to factory with the tuner, then reloading the aftermarket tune to see if it resets. If not, then only a dealer can help you.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
4.o stang
1st Gear Member

If it's an anti-theft thing your PCM might need to be reflashed. Is the car tuned? You could try putting back to factory with the tuner, then reloading the aftermarket tune to see if it resets. If not, then only a dealer can help you.
no the car isn't tuned yet and Okay thanks for the help.