Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Rear main seal install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
As you indicate, the trick with "sleeving" is to achieve a sealed condition between the forward inside diameter of the sleeve and the crank journal. Otherwise, oil will seep out between the sleeve and crank and escape to the rear outside.

FWIW, Victor Reinz is the company I started with in 1963 as a Development Technician. Back then it was still family-owned, Victor Mfg. and Gasket Co., started before the Depression by two brothers in their garage. Dana Corporation bought the Victor company in 1966. imp
Oh boy, looks like I could be doing this job again... I oiled the outside of the sleeve, but didnt RTV the inside.. Couldn't find any info on it. Went for a drive last night and it didnt appear to be leaking, but with my luck im sure it will. The crank didnt appear to be in bad shape, it just had that "polished" look to it.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
Oh boy, looks like I could be doing this job again... I oiled the outside of the sleeve, but didnt RTV the inside.. Couldn't find any info on it. Went for a drive last night and it didnt appear to be leaking, but with my luck im sure it will. The crank didnt appear to be in bad shape, it just had that "polished" look to it.

If leakage appears, and you decide to go back into it, the removal of the seal may be avoided, if you care to take a chance.....Very scrupulous cleaning of the end of the crankshaft with strong solvent, to remove absolutely ALL traces of oil, would allow RTV Silicone Rubber to adhere to the area in the small "V" formed at the end of the crankshaft right where the sleeve exists. This might actually seal it. Flywheel or flexplate need not be removed, but clutch would, if manual trans. If automatic, I would personally go further, remove the seal and sleeve, and start over after thoroughly de-greasing the crankshaft and the sleeve, especially inside it. a thin bead of Silicone applied to the shaft surface and inside the sleeve should seal that leakage path. Traces of Silicone left on the outside of the sleeve must be carefully removed before seal installation. imp
Old 09-23-2017, 04:23 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Well, I have an issue for sure.. Trans has no power in 5th gear. Any ideas?

It goes into gear but power doesnt get transfered from the engine to the tranny.

I just completed a (used) TR3650 swap with a new SPEC clutch..