Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5R55S Problems AFTER rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 PM
BN7877

Default 5R55S Problems AFTER rebuild

And they said rebuilding it would fix the problems...

So a little backstory: I took my car to have the transmission serviced since it hasn't been touched after rolling off the assembly line. About 1 month and a half ago, the transmission began to "lag" in shifting gears, give a hard "thunk" when put into reverse, and slip when shifting from first to second. So during the rebuild, they upgraded the transmission with a TransGo Shift Kit, New Bands, Brass Sleeves, Planetary Overdrive, Solenoid Pack, Torque Converter, and of course the fresh fluid and filter.

Well...even after the rebuild was completed, the car performed worse in my opinion. Here are several things the car does:
1. When put into reverse, the car will move for about 5 feet, then the transmission will disengage into neutral. You have to step on the gas for it to go back into reverse.
2. When put into drive, the car will hesitate to switch from first to second. Sometimes, it feels like I'm pulling a trailer!
3. When coming to a complete stop for 10 seconds, the transmission will disengage from drive to neutral. I either let go of the brake and the transmission softly goes back into gear, or give a it few taps on the gas.
4. (This is a funny one) When I'm on a curve or I take a sharp turn, the transmission will disengage from drive to neutral.
5. When I'm at a complete stop, I'll shift from P to R to N to D (and reverse) quickly and it will move into each one quickly. But if I go Reverse and move then stop, then shift to Drive...it lags.

Well it took it in a month ago, and they said it was the solenoid pack. They changed it out, but it still has the same problems (much less #1). Earlier this week while changing out my oxygen sensors, I noticed the pigtail harness to where the solenoid pack was somewhat loose. Turns out, they added two washers within the retaining bolt of the pigtail harness. Seriously? I even checked Fuse #69 to see if it was burned out, but they have a #30 Fuse in there.

On a funny note, the temp today (10/29/17) dropped to the 50's and the car operated so flawlessly, It literally felt like the transmission worked perfectly! Not sure if this would help.

Well I'm kinda annoyed with being in the state that I am with the car. I blew $1,220 to have it fixed and I'm really thinking I should do it myself this time. But before I do, are any of the problems mentioned above mechanical or electrical?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:16 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Mine only had the slamming into reverse occasionally. I knew it would eventually snap the reverse band and leave me stranded. I had the fluid and filter changed and had some slipping in first and no engagement after a stop.
These transmissions are noted to wear out the servo pin bore in the case, which causes poor shift engagement. Soft aluminum case against a steel pin the aluminum will lose all the time. There is a fix to bore and sleeve the pin bore which buys you time. I wonder if your guy addressed the pin bores. Transgo shift kit has no business in this transmission just my OP. It won't correct a transmission with shifting issues you have to find the problem.
Mine had 117,000 when it went south, I opted for a remanufactured unit from ford with unlimited mileage I didn't trust anybody to rebuild mine, and I am to old to do it myself any more. It will probably out last my driving days. Good Luck