Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 V6 Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Norlin4.0

Default 2005 V6 Automatic Transmission

hello I have seen a couple of threads about it but none of them are te exact same problem as mine. This Morning my mustang fired up like normal cold start and even tho I have read it is not necessary I still let it warm up before I drive it about 98% of the time. I put it in reverse and back out of my driveway it backs up just fine but when I put it in drive it didn’t do anything jut stayed still, I revved it a few times low revs 2k or so turned it off and back on put it on drive again revved a couple of times again nothing then it finally engaged after a couple of seconds. I leave come to my first stop sign and it went blank again for a quick second then engaged again and after that drive to work not far probably 3 Miles tops but it did just fine after other stops I put it in first and shifted manually all the way up and everything was working fine so I thought ehh I guess that’s it get to work turned it off and something told me to try again so I turned it back on once again backed out of the parking spot when I put it on drive nothing... I have read that the bolt that connects that “thing” to the shifter that I don’t know what’s called but I have seen before might have gotten lose and to have someone shift the car through the gears while I look at it that’s so far all I have found and I will do it later today but just wanted to see if anyone else has anymore tips?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:08 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

How many miles on it?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Norlin4.0

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
How many miles on it?
174*** I just put home I’m about to jack it up and leave my phone recording from the bottom and go up md shift it and see if it moves I’m also going to Dixon next the battery for a title while I’m it might have nothing to do with it but why not. Ima turn it back on after like 20 and see if it throws up any other code other than the o2 sensors
Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Excuse my spelling

My phone keeps messing up my words I’m sorry
Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 PM
JimC

An automatic low on fluid will do that. Could be a fluid level issue, or a part failure like a servo.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Too late

Originally Posted by JimC
An automatic low on fluid will do that. Could be a fluid level issue, or a part failure like a servo.
Might have been low fluid also but my tranny took a **** on me i just poured a little bit of tranny fluid out and it is pretty dark also smells burnt bye bye tranny got to the point where it wouldn’t engage on Drive at all reverse works flawlessly so yeah I’m going to save up to buy a rebuild kit. I actually been wanting to upgrade transmission for a while didnt get much into it is there any other transmissions that are a direct bolt on for out 2005 V6 s or am I stuck between 5r55s and a T5 I wouldn’t mind doing a manual swap I believe all I need is to install a clutch and most likely get a different PCM from like a manual GT or so but don’t think all that is worth the trouble for a T5 help me out what’s out there. Also if I was to just rebuild it is there such thing as an upgrade rebuilt kit?? Like upgraded internals? Thanks y’all man I love this Forum
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norlin4.0
Might have been low fluid also but my tranny took a **** on me i just poured a little bit of tranny fluid out and it is pretty dark also smells burnt bye bye tranny got to the point where it wouldn’t engage on Drive at all reverse works flawlessly so yeah I’m going to save up to buy a rebuild kit. I actually been wanting to upgrade transmission for a while didnt get much into it is there any other transmissions that are a direct bolt on for out 2005 V6 s or am I stuck between 5r55s and a T5 I wouldn’t mind doing a manual swap I believe all I need is to install a clutch and most likely get a different PCM from like a manual GT or so but don’t think all that is worth the trouble for a T5 help me out what’s out there. Also if I was to just rebuild it is there such thing as an upgrade rebuilt kit?? Like upgraded internals? Thanks y’all man I love this Forum
5R55S handles the V-8s pretty well, so should be more than adequate for the V-6. Going to a different automatic would require a very deeply involved job, electronics, PCM, which then might be incompatible with the ABS, and cause issues you just don't want to experience. T-5 is good, but conversion is also a major hassle. T-5 would require a different PCM also, or codes will be generated along with CEL on all the time. imp
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Norlin4.0

Default I hear you

I might just stick with it for a while. Last night I took the pan off the fluid was definitely low but there were no big chunks or broken pieces just the normal debris that adheres to the magnet I was thinking while I’m at IT do the dipstick conversion by http://www.ratstangrestoration.com/5r55s-dipstick.htm RATSTANG and then refill it with the correct amount and give it a try will be te cheapest way to go right now and if something is messed up fr I can just take te ATF out and put it away to use it after rebuild. So there is really no waste of money right?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Norlin4.0

Default Help

if anyone knows how to flush the transmission to take al the fluid out please let me know asi manual says that the 5R55S for our mustangs takes 11.9 quarts. This is just ridiculous that’s is way too much fluid but can anyone confirm it how do I drain all that 11.9 or 10 or whatever I had out because all I took out was as much as 4 quarts might have been that low idk I bought it second hand maybe the person before me messed with the tranny fluid and left t that low.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norlin4.0
if anyone knows how to flush the transmission to take al the fluid out please let me know asi manual says that the 5R55S for our mustangs takes 11.9 quarts. This is just ridiculous that’s is way too much fluid but can anyone confirm it how do I drain all that 11.9 or 10 or whatever I had out because all I took out was as much as 4 quarts might have been that low idk I bought it second hand maybe the person before me messed with the tranny fluid and left t that low.
3 gallons sounds about right for a complete system refill if you have a bone dry tranny, TC, and auto tranny cooling system.

When you drop the pan and the filter you will get out about 6 or 7 quarts (what you actually need for a filter change). The TQ is another another 3-4 quarts and what's left in the lines and tranny cooler will make up the remainder. For a tranny fluid level reading, these cars have to be level (all four wheels up in the air at close to the same height front and rear) to be accurate.

Four quarts IS low which is most likely why you had gear engagement problems. Before thinking you need to rebuild the tranny, try filling the system to the correct level and see what happens.

Most likely the previous owner incorrectly measured the tranny fluid level with the engine off. This is the most common mistake people make when refilling the 5r55s. The engine MUST be running and near operating temps to get an accurate reading.

The drain plug is made up of two parts. A large 17 or 19 mm bolt and a small inner hex that is 7 or 8 mm in size. The larger bolt is only used to drain the pan and stays in place for refilling. Only the center hex is removed for refilling.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...alve-body.html

This actually has a link to American Muscle (Post #5 )with pictures on how to do the refill and level check. Better than the instructions I was going to provide. The thread of the inner hex is 1/8" NPT. All you need is 1/8 NPT male thread to whatever Nipple size will fit the tubing you are using for the fluid.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/motor...t-install.html

Last edited by Derf00; 11-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.