Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Fuel.

Hello I remember I read somewhere that it’s not good to run our cars on E-85 because they are not meant to or blah blah blah Idek to be honest. I also read somewhere that it’s not good to run 97/ Premium fuel without a tune? Don’t know why you would need a tune but whatever so anyways. Here is the question.
I go to the car meets at my hometown every weekend and just last weekend I found a guy that owns a 2007 GT that told me that he puts 6 gallons of E-85 and then 10 of Premium =16 Gal tank. He told me when he does this he can feel the difference like it pulls more like he can feel the gains he sad like you can actually feel it it’s not like adding an intake to the car without a tune you know he said it but like idk man should I give this a try? Is it safe?? Let me know your thoughts or let me know if ou have ever heard this before or if you know anybody that has done it too thanks all for reading
Old 01-13-2018, 09:15 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The guy is full of doo doo. Absolutely no way he can feel it. If I'm not mistaken the car only holds 14 gal to begin with. How would you possibly put that precise amount of fuel mix in the car every time you fill up in the first place? Fake news, don't believe it. With the exception of the GT350 which requires premium fuel period, most Fords will run on regular gas with no problem. If you read the fine print in the owner's manual, it will tell you that maximum horsepower is achieved with premium. It probably adds 10 to 15 hp back which you would feel in throttle response.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel

Norlin 4.0, This might help support proeagles questioning the validity of said persons statement. Most engines aren't designed to take advantage of E85's higher octane. Really capitalizing on a 98 octane fuel means more than simply advancing the timing -- it means using higher compression or some method of forced induction like a turbo or supercharger. Provided that the fuel injectors can maintain adequate flow at maximum duty cycle, using E85 in a turbocharged engine can allow the driver or computer to turn up the boost for serious gains in power. At that rate, you might as well run pure ethanol for a huge increase in boost and power potential.

What it Boils Down to.
So, the verdict is: E85 is bad for fuel economy, worth a few horsepower on a naturally aspirated engine and worth a lot more on a turbo engine. But if you have the injector capacity, computer programming and boost potential to run E85, then you're already getting terrible gas mileage and you might as well use pure ethanol. Granted, the timing advances permitted by using E85 will help to offset some of the fuel economy loss -- maybe by as much as 10 percent -- but you could say the same for pure ethanol. At the end of the day, it matters less what fuel you use than how you tune your engine to use it.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:31 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

What Buck Sergeant said more eloquently with physics to back it up.