Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which fuse is for the transmission pressure control solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM
mpeternell

Default Which fuse is for the transmission pressure control solenoid

2007 Mustang 4.0L V6 with 5R55S transmission. Which fuse # is for the transmission's torque converter solenoid/pressure control solenoid? I feel like an idiot because I can't find which one. Also, if you've read this far, does the transmission pan's gasket go on dry or with gasket sealant? Thank you in advance for any responses!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There is no dedicated fuse for that. It's integrated with one of the powertrain fuses. Which one? no clue. Why do you need the info?

Here's a link with both fuse locations mapped (interior passenger and engine bay)
https://mustangforums.com/how-tos/a/...diagram-400063

As for the gasket, its a dry gasket. They say it's reusable but on a 10+ year old car, spend the $15-20 and replace it if it's your first time cracking the pan seal open. Stick with one that has the steel layer in it. Cheap gaskets that are rubber or neoprene only without the steel layer are prone distortion and leaking.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:06 PM
mpeternell

Thank you Derf00. My Torque Converter/Pressure Control Solenoid is throwing a code. The car only goes into reverse and drive (3rd gear, no overdrive or 1st and 2nd gear).. I'm just going to change the solenoid pack, but I was told to check and make sure that the fuse isn't blown. But, if the fuse is linked to other powertrain electronics, then I'd assume that it isn't the fuse considering that everything is running/working great except for the gear shifting issues.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

There are two PCM relays and six PCM related fuses... Check the link provided for
their positions.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mpeternell
Thank you Derf00. My Torque Converter/Pressure Control Solenoid is throwing a code. The car only goes into reverse and drive (3rd gear, no overdrive or 1st and 2nd gear).. I'm just going to change the solenoid pack, but I was told to check and make sure that the fuse isn't blown. But, if the fuse is linked to other powertrain electronics, then I'd assume that it isn't the fuse considering that everything is running/working great except for the gear shifting issues.
5R55S has 8 solenoids. Only one engages/disengages the Torque Converter Clutch, commonly called TCC Solenoid. There are several Pressure Control Solenoids, which operate independently of the TCC Solenoid. Replacement of any one bad Solenoid requires replacing the entire Module of 8; they are not individually removable. imp
Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mpeternell
Shifting issues are usually related to one or more of the following with these transmissions. First and foremost, check the fluid level and condition.

Here's a link to checking the fluid on these dipstickless cars... You do not need the tool to check the level.

Note, you can build the tool they show for under 8 bucks. They want $15 to $20+ for that one. Go to Ace Hardware and Buy two brass fittings. The first is a 1/8" NPT male to 1/4" NPT female thread. The second would be a 1/4" NPT Male thread to whatever tube size you would want to connect a hose to for refilling the fluid later on. I use 3/8" tubing.

Anyways, then just follow the procedure in the video.

Other problems include dying or bad solenoids and bad or worn Servo sleeves in the transmission case. Given the odd gears that do and do not work, the solenoids is the most likely culprit. It's easier, cheaper, and more reliable to replace the Solenoid pack. The solenoids are not serviceable and should not be replaced individually.

I used this site in the past. The staff was very helpful with all of my questions regarding the pack, and the shift kit I bought. Even going so far as to e-mail the instructions for both kits to see what the differences were and help me decide.
https://www.cascadetransmissionparts...noidblock.aspx

You can also get a filter/gasket kit there as well.