Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CTS Mod. ( COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR ) MOD

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Norlin4.0

Default CTS Mod. ( COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR ) MOD

It is a thing have heard of it seen it done. The mod is to trick your ecm that the engine is cooler so it runs at open loop. Has anyone done it?
I took my cats out running offroad H pipe and muffler delete car sounds amazing btw. But i dont have a tuner nor will i buy one for this V6 anytime soon i want to do a swap at some point in my life so i dont want to go all crazy on this ittle V6 anyhow im running lean because of me not having any catalytic converters which i bad and makes my car slower than it aready is. Now the mod many people do it by splicing a resistor between the CTS and the ECU not thinking nout doing that one since my car wil run Rich All the time so there i this thing called potentiometer which i can play around with and actually turn it off if i wanted to is it a good idea yes no. Also do our cars have a Intake Temperature Sensor? Thank you so much
Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't use resistors or other mods like that. Yes they fool the car's ECM by sending a false signal which makes the ECM wrongly adjust the fuel map (usually to the rich side but, It's a waste of fuel and can cause other problems. Especially since you already have one problem. Who knows how a second unregulated mod will interact with the first one. Logic says they should negate each other but in reality that's probably not the case.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Norlin4.0

Originally Posted by Derf00
Don't use resistors or other mods like that. Yes they fool the car's ECM by sending a false signal which makes the ECM wrongly adjust the fuel map (usually to the rich side but, It's a waste of fuel and can cause other problems. Especially since you already have one problem. Who knows how a second unregulated mod will interact with the first one. Logic says they should negate each other but in reality that's probably not the case.
  • the car runs under the cts until its warmed up once its to temperature it runs under the 02 sensor signals and thats when my car gets all sloppy and stuff so if i run it at open loop it’s running under the cts signal which will make it run richer and advance the timing. ( HEARD ITS GOOD TO RUN HIGHER OCTANAGE IF DOING THIS ) thing is im not tunning the car so the real question here is. WOULD YOU PREFER TO RUN LEAN OR RICH if you had to pick one which is my case lean all the time sluggish *** engine and performance or rich and add some of that 93 OCTANE. there is no fixing it so here is the question again
  • IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK RUNNING LEAN OR RUNNING RICH?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Running too rich is not good, the excess fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls and piston rings.

Running lean causes more heat in the combustion chambers.

ECT sensor mod doesn't work for long.

AIT sensor mod is the better way to go, based on intake air temperature. Make the air appear colder
and the fuel mix is changed. 02 sensor readings will not cause a drastic change in the mix
because the air temperature has first dibs on the fuel curve. The 02 readings can back it off
some, but not counter the readings like with the ECT mod.

Just buy a tuner man... I got one for $135.00, used, so look around. There are some Predators for
sale in the Facebook Marketplace. I would have gotten one there, but they're all for V8s, or not
my year range. There are some SCT tuners too, one was $200.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norlin4.0
  • the car runs under the cts until its warmed up once its to temperature it runs under the 02 sensor signals and thats when my car gets all sloppy and stuff so if i run it at open loop it’s running under the cts signal which will make it run richer and advance the timing. ( HEARD ITS GOOD TO RUN HIGHER OCTANAGE IF DOING THIS ) thing is im not tunning the car so the real question here is. WOULD YOU PREFER TO RUN LEAN OR RICH if you had to pick one which is my case lean all the time sluggish *** engine and performance or rich and add some of that 93 OCTANE. there is no fixing it so here is the question again
  • IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK RUNNING LEAN OR RUNNING RICH?
Honestly? Neither. I'd fix the problem or find a way to correct it. You're essentially asking me how i want to kill my motor?

Lean burns up your valves and pistons and you can/will get knocks and pings from detonation that will utterly destroy your motor. Rich will reduce your oils lubrication capabilities by diluting your oil and washing everything like MustangDude mentioned, that will lead to a spun bearing.