MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR & CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/735293-fuel-level-low-dte-odo-data-err-and-check-charging-system.html)

Hussam Khalafallah 08-15-2018 01:47 PM

FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR & CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM

Hello All,

I have a 2005 V6 convertible Mustang, bought it back in 2009 in California when I was a student, brought the car with me to Saudi Arabia, today it has 141K miles.

I've been facing an issue since 3 years back, and stopped using the car for awhile because I couldn't fix it, hopefully you can help me!

I was driving the car 3 years ago to work, all the sudden car doesn't receive speed and gradually dies, tried to start the engine but it didn't, took it to a mechanic and replaced the gas pump under the back seat, I was told earlier that I need to change it and so I thought this would be it, but the car still didn't work, then mechanic removed the catalytic converter under the car, and the engine started and worked fine but this message appeared on the dashboard "FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR & CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM". Mechanic then said we need to change alternator, we did but nothing happened, they checked the underhood fuse box, it had some burns underneath, we changed it, yet the message is still there! I decided to take the car to another shop, they checked it and said computer needs to be replaced, we replaced it and the message was gone for few days and then came back! The shop said we need to change fuel presser sensor inside the tank, but I decided not to do anything till I make sure, I don't want to spend more money on things won't fix the issue.

Current Issues:
  • Message on dashboard: FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR And CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM
  • When message appears AC stops cooling (only hot air comes out), speedometer and oil meter stop working.
  • Sometimes while driving, engine doesn't receive speed for few seconds and then comes back to normal, it happens continuously till car completely dies and engine refuse to start for few minutes, it feels like fuel is not reaching the engine.
Parts Replaced:
  1. Gas Pump
  2. Catalytic Converter
  3. Alternator
  4. Under hood Fuse Box
  5. Computer
  6. Battery
Hopefully someone can give me a solution!

Thank you,

Hussam Khalafallah 08-15-2018 02:06 PM

One more issue forgot to mention:
  • When I start the car early morning, engine shakes for few seconds and doesn't receive speed, like fuel is not reaching, something is blocked, but then it goes away and becomes normal.

JimC 08-15-2018 04:50 PM

What codes is the car giving? That should be the first thing you check, rather than some "mechanic" tossing parts at it trying to fix it.

Hussam Khalafallah 08-16-2018 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by JimC (Post 8631701)
What codes is the car giving? That should be the first thing you check, rather than some "mechanic" tossing parts at it trying to fix it.

The screen in dashboard only says CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM and FUEL LEVEL LOW DTE ODO DATA ERR, the message come back and forth, if you drive the car, for few minutes you see this happening and then goes away, then after few minutes comes back!! Too random..

In the morning the car smells gas!

JimC 08-16-2018 07:00 AM

The codes are pulled from the OBD port with a reader. Use that to diagnose what the problem is. The center screen is telling you there is a problem, but the code reader tells you what the problem is so you know what to repair.

Right now you are simply tossing parts at it until you stumble upon the correct one. You have replaced things that likely weren't defective.

Luis Vega 05-10-2019 06:11 PM

Same problem Help

Hey, I saw your post about check charging system, I am currently having the same problem and was wondering if you ever found a solution?

StankinStang85 09-30-2021 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luis Vega (Post 8651653)
Hey, I saw your post about check charging system, I am currently having the same problem and was wondering if you ever found a solution?

I dont know if this helps anyone but i had this issue, and the fix for me was a diode (small black 1)from the fuse box under the hood wasn't in all the way, pushed it back in, haven't had this problem since. Hope this helps, I caught hell lookin for the solution lol.