Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

No obd II power or communications

Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM
jlattan75

Default No obd II power or communications

I have a 2007 Mustang 4.0 convertible. I currently have no functioning;
A/c
Obd II power or communications
Turn signals
Instrument cluster (no gauges only airbag light blinks)
No power up or down to the top
No rear window motors
Door dinger
Odometer

There could be more I'm not aware of though. I have check all fuses and relays in both power distribution box and sjb. Does anybody have any idea what to check or do from here. Is it possible the ecu is partially bad? The car runs well. Please any help would really help!!!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:05 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Might be Front electronic module or similar? Water gets in on left sometimes under left kickboard if I'm remembering correctly. Do a search on this site.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:07 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Disconnect the battery and remove the sjb. Remove the connectors and look for any green tint on the box and connectors and terminals. If you see it corrosion has set in. If not your problem is some where else. Do that and tell us what you find.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 PM
jlattan75

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
Disconnect the battery and remove the sjb. Remove the connectors and look for any green tint on the box and connectors and terminals. If you see it corrosion has set in. If not your problem is some where else. Do that and tell us what you find.
so, I did have some on the pins a socket. I cleaned any suspect I saw. Now have turn signals, a/c, instrument cluster, odometer, turn signals, and all lights. But no windows at all, door ajar light which makes all interior lights and dinger ring. Also no top power. Oddly when I fiddle with the top button I can get the windows to roll up. Engine at idle seems to slightly go up and down. Any ideas? I think I might need to try and clean the plug the corrosion was on in the bcm? Does this mean I have the coal leak? Or the moisture I saw in the car from what I thought was from the top do that?

Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Yep you have a dose of corrosion. Did you remove the sjb completely from the car? The reason I ask is there is more connectors on the back of the sjb. You can get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the pins and the terminals in the plugs. Let it set, they spray again, and blow out with compressed air. Then spray WD40 in the connectors, let it set and blow that out with compressed air. Plug everything back in and see what you have. May have to try it again, and this may or may not help. those pins and terminals are so small that they can't take too much corrosion before the need to be replaced. You need to find out where the water is coming from, "cowl drains plugged"? Being a convertible I can't help you with that.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 AM
jlattan75

My top is up manually. I still have zero noise or movement from the hydraulics. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:53 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

No doubt it is all corrosion related to the sjb terminals and connectors.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM
jlattan75

Cleaned the whole board with electric contact spray and nylon brush. The first time in stalled it back into the car I had my same problems. So, I repeated the cleaning. Upon reinstall everything seemed to work. I drove it around a bit. Was a happy camper. I took a nap an awoke to rain. Rain to the car and a no start condition. Checked relays, fuses, battery and nothing not even a click. I unhooked the battery waited an hour still nothing but a piece of new info. When I turn the key on every on the dash lights up including the odometer. Very shortly the odometer reading goes to six dashes and says that way. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlattan75
Cleaned the whole board with electric contact spray and nylon brush. The first time in stalled it back into the car I had my same problems. So, I repeated the cleaning. Upon reinstall everything seemed to work. I drove it around a bit. Was a happy camper. I took a nap an awoke to rain. Rain to the car and a no start condition. Checked relays, fuses, battery and nothing not even a click. I unhooked the battery waited an hour still nothing but a piece of new info. When I turn the key on every on the dash lights up including the odometer. Very shortly the odometer reading goes to six dashes and says that way. Any ideas?
Sorry had some trouble understanding some points in your post. But are you saying your still getting water in the car? carpet wet?
You say you cleaned the sjb, What did you do to the connectors? I know, about the only thing you can do is spray contact cleaner in them, without major surgery. Just had another guy on another forum have the same problem. I told him my guess was in the connector terminal. and he took it to the dealer and two days later it was a terminal in the connector.
Anyway if you haven't done it already you have to find the source of the leak and fix that.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 AM
jlattan75

Any ideas why it shows the correct odometer and quickly flashes to - - - - - - and doesn't attempt to turn over. The security light goes out and doesn't blink?