4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

For us NPI guys lookie what article I found

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:43 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For us NPI guys lookie what article I found

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

The bandwagon is there because its the best thing to do. Swapping the cam and other stuff is just beating around the bush; why would you even bother to take the heads of and swap the cam when you could just buy a used set of PI heads for 600-700.
If you read the article, it explained how you don't have to pull the heads to swap cams. Pull off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place, and swap cams.

I see it as a good budget mod......the only people in here arguing against this is the people with PI's already.

You get a set of PI heads for the price of brand new set of cams, why would you just do cams to be original? I'd rather have a better shot at winning a race/better times than telling someone I went with just the cam swap cause everyone does the head swap.

Hell you can buy an 99+ GT motor for around 1k.

It just doenst make sense to go in that route.

Also, i look on corral all the time as it says to do in the article; no one really sells just the cams ususally its the heads+cams.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 AM
JonBeast

The bandwagon is there because its the best thing to do. Swapping the cam and other stuff is just beating around the bush; why would you even bother to take the heads of and swap the cam when you could just buy a used set of PI heads for 600-700.
If you read the article, it explained how you don't have to pull the heads to swap cams. Pull off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place, and swap cams.

I see it as a good budget mod......the only people in here arguing against this is the people with PI's already.

Its easier just to pull the heads off to do it. You get a set of PI heads for the price of brand new set of cams, why would you just do cams to be original? I'd rather have a better shot at winning a race/better times than telling someone I went with just the cam swap cause everyone does the head swap.

Hell you can buy an 99+ GT motor for around 1k.

It just doenst make sense to go in that route.
Not everyone can afford to do a PI swap or a motor swap. Even if they did have the money, not many people would have the tools or skills to do the swap themselves. So they have to pay a shop hundreds....if not thousand+ dollars to do the swap for them.

As I stated before, an intake swap and cam swap is a good budget mod.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:55 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I suppose, but I dont know many people willing to just randomly do a cam swap. Pulling the heads off isnt that much more difficult. Odds are they will have to pay someone for the cam swap anyways.

Ps, that heater tube sucks; when we did it to a friends 96 we end up making our own.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 AM
JonBeast

Fine then.....everyone who doesn't want to do a PI swap....just do an intake swap![8D]

Even if I did a PI swap, my car will never be fast enough.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:06 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Fine then.....everyone who doesn't want to do a PI swap....just do an intake swap![8D]

Even if I did a PI swap, my car will never be fast enough.

True true. The intake swap can probably be done in about 2.5-3 hours if you really know what you're doing. It took me about 5 and I was dicking around. Its not that bad of a thing to do.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Hey, let me add something you folks might not have considered. 98 and newer P code, yes police interceptors use PI heads. I would think there has to be a ton of them around wrecked if you poke around your local boneyard. My cousinis a cop car fanatic, and frequents crownvic.net a good source for part information.
John
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

im not gonna say "hey i didnt put the pi heads in and just did the cam/intake cause everyone else did the other." like jon said its a budget mod. if im gonna spend $1k+ for head install, im gonna get the best i can and not put in used stock ford parts. ill get frpp heads with bullit intake all p&p'd with stage 2 cams and still be able to add a s/c later. at one point i had the pi heads and intake sitting in my garage but thats before i found out itll be a grand to swap them i figured ill buy rims and get better new heads later on. i mean i want all the power i can get and not gonna pass it up just to be different but ill just be more cost efficient and have a higher potential to put in the best stuff first and pay the $1k only once instead of wanting more later on.

edit: where have u found a pi motor worth swapping for 1k? and if im gonna pay for a motor swap, ill put a 4v in.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

http://corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=267

Look on there daily. Hell, theres 3 threads for used PI heads on the front page.

I look on there everyday usually for deals on stuff. I paid 400$ shipped for brand new ceramic long tubes, $100 for a catted h.

If you're not in a hurry for parts and check on there often you can get some deals.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:42 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=739417

Around 300$ shipped for the heads and cams. If you're gonna dick around with the cams might as well go with the heads as well for prices like that. You could probably even take the heads to get ported, have the best of both worlds.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M1ke

nope. compression is upped to 10.5:1 and yes you do gain that much on pi intake/cam swap. think about it. it does sound right. there is a 45 hp difference and 35 of it is cams and intake so that leaves 10 for the heads and then add a little more cause a pi swapped npi is a little faster and thats due to the compression so yeah it does sound right.
you dont need adapter plates. plenty have done it without it.
So your saying there is only a 10 RWHP difference between the heads?? I don't think so. The intake sucked too, but the heads were the major problem with the 96-98 cars.

Quick Reply: For us NPI guys lookie what article I found