4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

v1 s-trim or saleen series IV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:40 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default v1 s-trim or saleen series IV?

ok so long story short, i didnt end up getting the series 4 blower i wanted a while back. and im still in the same 3500$ or so budget for a new blower. i eventually want to do the kenne bell but right now, its too much extra work+3000$ more. ive looked at vortech and procharger, and id like to try and find maybe a used one with the aftercooler. however, theres a series 4 kit i can get for about 3 grand. id like to hear some oppinions on which of the 3 you would get. this is a mostly daily driver, and will be doing some runs at the track. looking for 14 lbs of boost for now. im leaning towards the series 4 cause its one hell of a blower, but the vortech and procharger can get more power, and and i could install either of those easier than the series 4 (need to make new brackets and modify the fuel rails for the series 4).
Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: vortech procharger or saleen series IV?

isnt the saleen IV kit a twin-screw just like a KB or whipple?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i cant remember to much about the series 4 blower... like if they are very good since they are a stock blower... but.. i would say vortech... 14lbs of boost off a aftercooled vortech will promise you about 450rwhp id say depending on the setup.... is your motor forged?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:05 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

yeah saleen says its the extreme motor(which is fully built), and i sure as hell believe it with how friggin nasty it sounds. the series 4 is twin screw, its a pretty damn good blower from what i hear, but it maxes out at around 15lbs of boost and thats including a port job and heat exchanger upgrade. its self contained too, so no oil pan tapping. i really shouldnt be getting a blower right now, my tranny is dying and come march ill probably roast it at epping. eh screw it trannies grow on trees. i hear that you can really crank up the boost on vortechs and prochargers, like upwards of 20lbs. whats the word on that?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

yeah saleen says its the extreme motor(which is fully built), and i sure as hell believe it with how friggin nasty it sounds. the series 4 is twin screw, its a pretty damn good blower from what i hear, but it maxes out at around 15lbs of boost and thats including a port job and heat exchanger upgrade. its self contained too, so no oil pan tapping. i really shouldnt be getting a blower right now, my tranny is dying and come march ill probably roast it at epping. eh screw it trannies grow on trees. i hear that you can really crank up the boost on vortechs and prochargers, like upwards of 20lbs. whats the word on that?
If yer really wanting to crank up a bunch of PSI. go with a T-trim blower by vortech (its bigger then the S or SQ trims). I would also consider browsing / asking about this on the MPH forums. Lots of guys there have lots of good info about blowers.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

if u can get the series IV with an aftercooler then get it cause its actually a very high quality blower made by Whipple. But if its not cooled then u can get a brand new procharger for like 3600.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

series 4 is intercooled, but yeah its a really nice blower.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

What's your red line? If you can go to 7K or close with that motor I would go Vortech for sure.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Read this and think again about Prochargher. I will say though that I had prob;ems with my Vortech. They fixed it twice. No charge. There tech sucks though cuz they don't have enough people to answer calls. I got through to KB on the spot though but a high RPM motor can benefit from a turbo big time.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/news/h2h.html
Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I'd like to see you put na turbo on that car. Just be careful not to die.

Quick Reply: v1 s-trim or saleen series IV?