4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with a part...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:50 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

Default Help with a part...

I was here a little while back saying my exhaust sounded like garbage. Took it to a shop yesterday, guy puts it up on a lift and says heres your problem, points to something on the passenger side of the car. Proceeds to take something out, says go show a performance shop this part and they will know what you need, come back i'll fix it for you. Went to a few places, thinking I needed a header gasket, since most of you thought thats what I messed up, and since he took this part off from the passenger side of the car near the front tire, I figured it was header gasket. I finally found a shop with the gasket, took it back, and the guy said, no this isn't the right part. I need the part that connects, and i quote, "the exhaust manfiold and the pipe". Thats exactly what he told me, I have no idea what i'm looking for since he didn't speak real good English. Basically the part was "ceramic" i think he said, it was oval shaped or something like that. I can snap a picture if you guys need to figure out what i'm looking for. But yea, can anyone identify what I'm looking for? And where can I purchase it online? I have a Mac o/r Prochamber and Borla Catback if that makes any difference...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with a part...

you need the "gasket" that connects the X pipe to the exhaust manifolds. My X pipe came with 2 flanges, but a lot of them out there like yours come with 1 flange and 1 gasket. you probably misplaced it when you installed.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

it look slike this

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...inch-2bolt.jpg
Old 03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004 GT RagTop

I was here a little while back saying my exhaust sounded like garbage. Took it to a shop yesterday, guy puts it up on a lift and says heres your problem, points to something on the passenger side of the car. Proceeds to take something out, says go show a performance shop this part and they will know what you need, come back i'll fix it for you. Went to a few places, thinking I needed a header gasket, since most of you thought thats what I messed up, and since he took this part off from the passenger side of the car near the front tire, I figured it was header gasket. I finally found a shop with the gasket, took it back, and the guy said, no this isn't the right part. I need the part that connects, and i quote, "the exhaust manfiold and the pipe". Thats exactly what he told me, I have no idea what i'm looking for since he didn't speak real good English. Basically the part was "ceramic" i think he said, it was oval shaped or something like that. I can snap a picture if you guys need to figure out what i'm looking for. But yea, can anyone identify what I'm looking for? And where can I purchase it online? I have a Mac o/r Prochamber and Borla Catback if that makes any difference...
There is a gasket that goes there so I think that is what you are looking for because I don't know how he could have gotten the header gasket off from under the car. A guy on here earlier said he used a "Rock Star" energy drink can for the gasket. Kind of ghetto but if it works.... Truthfully, what I did though, I went to Auto Zone and bought this "Muffler Mender" that evening when my car was pretty cool I spread it all the way around the conection and I haven't had a problem since. Only cost like 2.50, and if you let it dry over night it will make a very tight seal. Good luck, I think you could do it your self with a flashlight and a jack.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

kk.

That picture resembles what the guy pulled out, basically that gasket was blown out somehow. It was pretty burnt out, and he gave me the bottom half of it, which is why i'm pretty sure that link you sent me is the correct part (half of the oval).

Question is, where can I purchase one of those online?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

you can get it from any parts store.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

you can get it from any parts store.
hmm

We went to a few different stores, and the last one told us they don't carry it and we would have to get it from the dealership. Went to the dealership, and the guy said he can sell us the stock one, but it wouldn't be high performance.

So it seems I need a more specific part no? Maybe what you showed me isn't the right thing, even though it seems like it, hmmm
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

anyone else?