4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

? on transgo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:50 AM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ? on transgo shift kit

alright, so a cooler is necessary... any suggestions? looking for a direct link if possible. thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I don't know why you guys are suggesting a cooler with a shift kit. Less slip with a shift kit equals less heat right? Sounds like BS that a cooler is necessary.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Well, with an auto. A cooler is necessary with harsh driving. But I remember hearing that a shift kit actually keeps the temps lower. Either way, I had a transgo on my 02 v6. To hard of a shift for a DD. IMO
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

You definately need a tranny cooler if you are getting a shift kit. Plus, if the #1 killer of auto tranny's is heat, why not pick one up for only $50??
Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

the topic went off track it was basically suppose to be about ruining the od band in the car from over revving. Just wanted to know if anyone heard this happening to anyone. also for those with the shift kit, when you race your automatic do you turn overdrive off? also what does it mean you can hold any gear to any rpm exactly?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:35 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 03-04-2006, 05:19 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

ive had my shift kit installed for 3 weeks or so. no cooler installed with it, because i dont beat on my tranny. Anyways at first the shifts were rough as a ****, included a lil clunk during shifts....now that the computer has adjusted, the shifts are as smooth as can be. The results i received from my shift kit were, quicker firmer shifts, and the rpms dont seem to drop as much thru the shifts. I went with the medium setting on the transgo, and had my 1-2, and 2-3 accumulator pistons changed out since they produced more durable ones, considering the stock ones are prone to failure.

your question about the overdrive band.....the shift kit mainly effected my 1-2 and 2-3 shift, but when i shift into or out of 4th, it is definitely smoother then before, its immediate, and i dont feel anything from the tranny, just power at the engine, so i would assume with better functionality, you'll have more durability.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

yea at first the ****s were definitely like CLUDUNK, and i was hoping to god it wouldnt stay like that, sure enough it smoothed out. Don't know if the new 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons had anything to do with it, but it was definitely rough at first, now all i feel is immediate power after the shift, its hard to explain, my friend said its almost like having just 1 gear, lol, you just keep going and going =)
Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

did i say ****s, i meant shifts =x
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i dont mean to be a post *****, but with any tranny, shift kit or not, if you beat on it, keep it on od at highway speeds and go in and out of it (or even in a 5spd manual) im sure somethings bound to break and fail on you, weather its engine parts, or a tranny part. cars dont cope with abuse. so as long as you dont think the shift kit made your tranny bullet proof, and you dont beat on it like a crazy hooker, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: ? on transgo shift kit