4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

If 15 is better why 10?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

Default If 15 is better why 10?

If in that article from mustangs and fast fords is true(I'm sure it is) then why doe's ford set the timing at 10 degrees? Better gas mileage????
Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: If 15 is better why 10?

not neccessarily gas milage, but so you can run regular gas. You start advancing your timing then you need to run mid grade or premium. They set it at mild so you can run 87.

I do think you get a bit more mpg when you do that kinda tinkering, but you spend more on gas so it kinda cancels out

GEorge
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

I thought compression had the biggest impact on what octane your car needs?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

they both do. Timing is the degrees before top dead center (BTDC) on the compression/power strokes that the spark occurs. The sooner it occurs, the slower the fuel needs to burn so you do not get pinging. Higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane.

The compression factor has to do with heat. If you have higher compression, then more heat will make the gas want to explode more. Higher octane resists this effect.

That is why unless you either have high compresion or advanced timing, regular gas is fine.

This is about the extent of my knowledge on the octane thing. I know what cases you need which fuel, but as to the physics of it and why it is the way it is I'm not too sure.

My buddy has a 1972 chevy nova... 10.5 : 1 compression and his timing is wayyy advanced (he's always messing with it not sure what it is now) and he HAS to run premium. Running race gas makes the engine happy, usually he mixes a few gallons of 100 octane with the premium.

By the way what do you need to know for? Wantin to know what fuel to run in your car? what kinda car do you drive?

George
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

I have an 04 GT 5 spd. cat back SLP ,intake K&N and after reading about the timing issue on MUSTANGS & FAST FORDS they set theirs at 15 degrees and got a real good power gain but did not say if they would have to up the octane. they just said at 16 degrees it started detonating so 15 was the highest they could go. So if I buy an adjuster for my car and set it at 15 would I still beable to run 87 octane?
ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

they both do. Timing is the degrees before top dead center (BTDC) on the compression/power strokes that the spark occurs. The sooner it occurs, the slower the fuel needs to burn so you do not get pinging. Higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane.

The compression factor has to do with heat. If you have higher compression, then more heat will make the gas want to explode more. Higher octane resists this effect.

That is why unless you either have high compresion or advanced timing, regular gas is fine.

This is about the extent of my knowledge on the octane thing. I know what cases you need which fuel, but as to the physics of it and why it is the way it is I'm not too sure.

My buddy has a 1972 chevy nova... 10.5 : 1 compression and his timing is wayyy advanced (he's always messing with it not sure what it is now) and he HAS to run premium. Running race gas makes the engine happy, usually he mixes a few gallons of 100 octane with the premium.

By the way what do you need to know for? Wantin to know what fuel to run in your car? what kinda car do you drive?

George
Old 03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ForeverFord

I have an 04 GT 5 spd. cat back SLP ,intake K&N and after reading about the timing issue on MUSTANGS & FAST FORDS they set theirs at 15 degrees and got a real good power gain but did not say if they would have to up the octane. they just said at 16 degrees it started detonating so 15 was the highest they could go. So if I buy an adjuster for my car and set it at 15 would I still beable to run 87 octane?

You can try it and see... but more then likely you would need to run midgrade or premium. You can advance it and see if it pings. if it starts pinging on you, step up a grade. Still pinging, go with premium.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
bb1211
2nd Gear Member

if you dont really know alot about timing it's better to let someone else do it, you could lose power if you advance it too far, and yes you do need a higher octane gas if your going to advance the timing.