4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is a 2" drop to far?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: is a 2" drop to far?

your wheels come down the other side though.
Indeed, but before the wheels come off, the back wheels are up, maintaining the clearance...

I don't think its going to be a terrible issue... A lot of vette's have LT's and they are just as low as my car, if not lower in some cases.. Same with the maros, LS1's ect.
The LT's look like they fit someone snug under there, at least from the pictures Ive seen?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:20 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

when it come to suspension dont do it cheap.. if you dont have the money to do it right then dont do it at all!!!
DropZone is ebay crap! I HIGHLY reccomend NOT to get them!
Here is a good site to start with StangSuspension
Also mustangtunning.com is a good place to go.... just please dont buy the cheap stuff and end up crashing yourself and possibly killing yourself!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Let me just go overkill on this one. If you plan on driving on the street, you probably don't want to go 2 inches. Also, I found understanding lowering the car better from under the oil pan, than measuring the fender gap. When I got my 02 GT vert, gap between the fender and the front tire was 4 inches. It was horrible. But H&R Supersports that advertised 2 inch lowering closed that gap completely. I couldn't do anything; no more car washes, etc. I bottomed out everywhere and no way could I have fit long tubes under that car if I wanted to. I went with Steedas to raise it some and it gave me just the stance I wanted and it was much more liveable. If you do go that low though, make sure you get new shocks, struts, and caster camber plates.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:21 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

ok well if i have buy front/rear adj shocks and struts + c/c, balljoints, etc.. should i go with sportlines or h&r supersports?
i want a nice drop, like a vette i dont want the fender gap. bc i will be gettin lt's soon..
Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

your wheels come down the other side though.
Indeed, but before the wheels come off, the back wheels are up, maintaining the clearance...

I don't think its going to be a terrible issue... A lot of vette's have LT's and they are just as low as my car, if not lower in some cases.. Same with the maros, LS1's ect.
The LT's look like they fit someone snug under there, at least from the pictures Ive seen?
where the **** do you live that the back tires are on the speed bump before the front tires are off?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:13 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

where the **** do you live that the back tires are on the speed bump before the front tires are off?
Haha, dude... THEORECTICALLY, if you angle the car ENOUGH, the back wheels will come up before the last front wheel leaves, creating more clearance. Im just asking, is it going to be THAT big of a problem?

Plenty of other cars are dropped with LT's, some even lower than mine, all street cars. It has to be able to be done?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:39 AM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Your balljoints should be fine, unless you really want to go with that Steeda set. I had the H&R Supersports and they looked and handled excellent. They were stiff, but they had a progressive rate, so they rode alright and were very stiff in corners. But the factory shocks will not keep up with those long at all. I went with Bilsteins on all four corners. They are expensive, but they will work and they have a lifetime warranty. You should never have to change them again, and if you do, the part is free. I had one go out on me not long ago because the shop that originally installed them 80,000 miles ago didn't put the dust covers on them. Bilstein replaced them anyway free of charge. Just know that you are going to scrape and that you will have issues doing some things with the car.