4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why aren't I making it to closed loop?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:34 AM
mdstud

Default Why aren't I making it to closed loop?!?

Ok I've been trying to find out why Im not passing emissions, I have no cats... I pulled my MIL elimnators off and still no codes or Check engine light... So I've come to the conclusion that Im not making it to closed loop, the ECT is ok, and its warming up enough to turn the fans on... I tested the 02 Sensor heaters and they all ohmed to 6 or 7 ohms... So what am I Missing?!?!?!? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. and still no error codes or anything....
Old 02-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why aren't I making it to closed loop?!?

Well if you have no cats that might be the problem.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:21 AM
mdstud

Well even though I have no cats I should be getting the Check engine light with codes saying catalyst is inefficient... the computer isn't even making it to the point where its reading the 02s.... something is wrong what are the reasons the car wouldn't go into closed loop....?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 AM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdstud

Well even though I have no cats I should be getting the Check engine light with codes saying catalyst is inefficient... the computer isn't even making it to the point where its reading the 02s.... something is wrong what are the reasons the car wouldn't go into closed loop....?
A couple people I know didn't get their check engine lights when they put a non-catted pipe on their stangs. They saw it as a blessing because they didn't have to buy MILs. Most did have the light come on however. I just think you're trying to say that if you can't pass emissions, then the Check Engine Light should come on...I don't think you can relate the one to the other if that's what you're trying to say...because with no cats, you can't really pass emissions.

My friend from Mass. just get's his factory pipes put on for a week, then gets his new ones back on if you get my drift...
Old 02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

I don't know where you are from bro, but if there is a Pep Boys, or Van Senus or some place comparable (never checked Autozone for this, but the probably have it too), there is something you can buy to help you pass emissions. It comes in a little red bottle, & guarantees you wil pass emissions, or your money back. I can't remember what the bottle is called, but I will out for ya. However, if you are running to rich/lean, maybe you should get that fixed anyway.

Ricekiller you don't necessarily have to have cats to pass emissions. You just need to have you fuel burning properly if you have an O/R setup.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:14 PM
mdstud

The reason I had the MIL eliminators on there was beacause the Check engine light was coming on, and was reading catalyst efficiency below threshold, this was a year ago I had passed emissions that year but only after getting the MIL eliminators... I know for a fact Im not making it to closed loop, the computer isn't making decisions for fuel based on 02 sensor readings... Once I took the eliminators off and drove it a little the light should have come on and I should have gotten that code... but I didn't so the computer isn't even making it to the point where it looks at the 02 readings...... Yeah I've heard of that stuff thats guaranteed to pass emissions but thats on older cars that do the test where they hookup to the tailpipe, all they do here is hook up the machine to the DLC and check for codes and the readiness tests.... Anyone have anymore ideas?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:05 PM
cuco32

Sometimes computers work in strange ways, maybe your compuer is still beign fool by your MILs, why dont you disconnect your battery for 20 minutes and then drive for a while to see what happens.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:25 PM
mdstud

k Ill try that...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Craziness4fun
2nd Gear Member

It took my mil's about 60 miles to kick in[>:]
Old 02-19-2004, 01:16 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

Ricekiller you don't necessarily have to have cats to pass emissions. You just need to have you fuel burning properly if you have an O/R setup.
You do if they do a visual inspection[sm=smiley2.gif]

More and more States are doing that these days......Like Pennsylvania!

Quick Reply: Why aren't I making it to closed loop?!?